• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 K1200RS Exhaust Gasket Rings.

oemor722

Getting ready to mout the exhaust. I notice on the prints that there are gasket rings that go before the headders. I see that the rings are pressed into the head. Do these rings need to be replaced? How much of a pain is it? How do I get the old ones out?

Thanks-

As noted in the other thread, yes they must be replaced. They are not difficult to remove or replace, for the ones that did not fall out, I used a small screw driver to carefully pry them out. For installing, some use a light dab of grease or something to get them to stick up in the hole while they fit the exhaust manifold in. By far, getting the manifold in place properly by yourself is the more difficult part of the whole operation. I did it solo, can't remember if I used a floor jack or not, but it is a challenge, not so much as it is heavy, but really ungainly as you try to get it in position and get your flange nuts on to hold it up....Take your time and have a friend help if you can.

Yes, the "rings" are copper crush gaskets which take a set once used. They should be replaced if you remove the exhaust.
Good news is that they are (were?) one of the few cheap parts that BMW sells. I recall them as being under $1 each.
I typically get new exhaust manifold nuts at the same time. The new ones are copper coated to help prevent them from seizing on the studs. You'll thank yourself next time you need to pull the exhaust.
I also like to add a liberal coating of never-seize to the threads during reassembly.

Ditto, hi-heat anti-seize paste on those threads, same as on the new O2 sensor threads.....

The gaskets are only pressed on by the installation of the exhaust headers. Use a dental pick type tool to remove. A telescoping mirror and a bright light helps removal and to assure that there are not more than one at each port. When I remove the exhaust system on K75's, I leave the muffler attached so I won't have to replace the $15 + muffler gasket as the exhaust manifold copper gaskets are, as pointed out, much cheaper. When reinstalling the system hook up the muffler attachment first. I'd like any advice or tips you may be using to install the copper gaskets up in the heads by some means of temporary attachment until you get the exhaust manifold started. Sure would improve upon a balancing act.
Charlie

Last edited:
Back