• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 r1100 rs

Anders

Hi to all, I just bought a 1994 1100RS with about 70,000 miles on it. I was aware of the gearbox and surging issues but I was not able to detect anything unusual in those areas on my test ride. The previous owner sold because he could no longer swing a leg over it due to age and health concerns so I don't think he was dumping a lemon. The bike has always been serviced by our local BMW dealer but I don't have a service record other than the dealers stamps in the service manual.

My questions; If a gearbox problem developes how does it manifest itself? Can you feel, hear or otherwise discern it coming or is it a sudden failure?

What upgrades or service items are considered highly advisable before I venture any distance on it?

I bought a 1973 R75/5 new and put 75,000 miles on it over 20 years. The carbs acted up a bit, the gears rattled in neutral and the clutch made a squeaking sound on engagement but nothing ever needed repair.

I'll be most grateful for your comments and suggestions.

I've gotta '94 R1100RS. I've never been into the gearbox or had a problem with it. If your tranny is not giving you any problems leave it alone. If it's not surging again just sync it up as the usual procedure. Ride and enjoy.

I own and have ridden a 94 R11RS since 94. Bought it with only 3k on it then, now at 164k. Been a great bike. The early Oilheads had little of any surging issues because the fuel system ran a bit more rich those first model years.

The tranny makes itself known by about the miles on your bike. I heard a high pitched whine coming from the tranny area at about 68k. But earlier, the clutch throwout bearing failed at about 60k. That made itself known for varying clutch feel/action. BMW covered parts for that back in 97. Then at 68k it failed two internal bearings, and BMW covered it by giving me a 96 spec tranmission to replace the original transmission. Both cases made themself known over time, not suddenly.

Check for the warranty/recalls/updates done by BMW with a VIN number search at a dealer. Since your RS has 70k on it, the alternator pulley issue, and the handlebar mount issue, should both have been corrected long ago.

Check for play at the LH Throttle body to look for wear in the throttle plate shaft. It sounds like a rattle at idle and its difficult to adjust the TB balance. Check and update the fluids. Clutch hub spline cleaning/lubing is a MUST to insure long life. Check for rear wheel play by trying to twist the rear wheel grabbing it at 3 and 9, and watch for deflection at the rear hub to the swingarm. Any play indicates the swingarm needle bearings have failed, very common.

If you have or develop a gear box issue it will be a slight skip - imitating a brief ignition miss. It will be a brief skip in power application to the rear wheel. There is debate as to whether it is the input shaft cam or the dogs disengaging but in either event it is a slight skip on hard acceleration.

I have my tranny at Antons right now. 95 R1100RS 114k miles. It did what Paul was saying and was noisy when the clutch was let out or in neutral. I opened it up and found that the tapered roller bearings on the input shaft had started to flake. Very happy with the bike over all. The input shaft splines were fine.

The tranny on my 94 RS was replaced with a 96 spec brand new tranny at about 68,000 miles on my RS. I had all the common tranny issues with the 94 tranny, and BMW eventually replaced it. Since then I have put over 90,000 miles on the 96tranny and it shifts good, no weird noises.

Cost of Repair

What is the range of costs associated with the complete repair job on a gearbox. Ball park figures are most welcome.

I got my 95 with only 20k miles a few years ago. When I changed the gearbox oil for the 24k service I saw flakes on the drainplug magnet and thought my transmission was history. More than a few folks (including local dealer) said don't worry about it... and I haven't. Probably advice that'll work for you too!

Back