• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1991 R100RT tach issue

b1620

Hey guys;
I have an issue on my 91 bmw r100rt. I thought I had a speedo problem, thinking it was reading high but I took my GPS with me and the speedo is almost perfect. So now I'm thinking it must be a tach issue. At 70 MPH it reads 5000 RPM.
I have a 120/90 18 on the back with 33/11 finial drive. I did the math and it should read 4000 RPMs. Who is right, me or the tach? Is this a common problem? Can it be repaired/adjusted or do I just need to live with it?
Thanks

My /7 also has a 33/11 rear end and the correct speedometer ratio (1.112). I run a 4.00x18 rear tire...it's going to have a slightly bigger circumference than your metric tire. At 70mph, I believe I'm running somewhere between 4K and 4250 RPM. So, 5K RPM does seem a bit high. Do you have the right speedometer ratio? Unless you changed the speedometer, I would think it's correct.

Snowbum has an equation on this page - http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/ringgears.htm - about the middle of the page to compute either mph or tach readings. It's important to get the circumference of the tire.

Anton Largiader has a gearing comparison chart here - http://www.largiader.com/articles/gearing/ - it doesn't work for me (axis labels don't show), maybe something with Win10. But maybe you can confirm your values with his charts.

Shouldn't be a common problem, provided the bike's configuration is correct. BTW...has this been a problem ever since you owned the bike? It would be possible to fix things...likely you would need to send instrument cluster off. Another thought...the tachometer operates off of the coils collapse rate as the spark is generated...the tach reading is all electric. Apparently the speed is fine but the RPMs are off. This would need some kind of electrical circuit change to properly count the coil changes in order to get the right RPM.

I'm running a 37/11 rear end ( 3.36 ) ratio in my 95 R1100RT with a Kenna Sidecar. At 100 kph/62 mph ( confirmed via GPS) I am turning approx. 4100 rpm. The stock rear end for this bike is a ( 3.0 ) ratio with an rpm of about 3700-3750 at 100 kmph or 62 mph. With my sidecar gearing 68 mph or 110 kph is about 4500 rpm. So something is not right with yours.

The tackometer on my 95 is electronic, and I'm not sure when they started that on the airheads, but I do know if it is getting too much voltage it will read high. Might be worth check out and maybe somebody else with more experience can provide an answer.

Back