• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1977 r100/7

Are you looking to buy this bike from someone and you're looking for us to talk you out of it?

....or....

Are you looking for one of us to buy the bike from you? Just a note, posting guidelines don't allow buying/selling on the forum. We'll be glad to help you with something you want to purchase if you have questions about a separate sale you're contemplating...

I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that. Issues would be prior maintenance, but with only 35K miles, the bike will have been sitting a long time or for long periods. Could be that selected rubber seals will need to be replaced, specifically push rod tube seals. But $2200 seems like a decent price going in. If you can find obvious things wrong with it by general observations, you can take a few dollars off.

That's basically my bike, just a year older and with a lot less miles. Not sure I'm that keen on the floor boards, though...seems like that would limit corner clearance.

Seems like it is pretty decent shape. I would not be afraid of it for that price. You can tell it was ridden moderately with floorboards and that fairing.

One told me once, that no matter what you pay for one, you will end up having about $5,000.00 in it to get it back up to snuff.

I would be checking the cylinders as well, as when setting, they rust. Lots of possible issues with electrics/connections etc.

But they are worth it if you are into repairing yourself and have patience and like that era.

No other BMW can match the glory of those old Airheads!

View attachment 61357 Talk me into or out of this bike. 1977, 35,000 miles, has bags, needs a good clean up and fork seals. $2,200

Worst thing you can do to an Airhead is let it sit and rot. Rubber cracks and splits. Rust forms internally.

Consider all that before you make the plunge because it looks like a very, very nice bike that you will end up putting some money into.

RPG

I dunno.. .. looks kinda dirty to me. Is it on your trailer yet?

If it won't be, would you PM me and tell me where it is?

I have a soft spot in my brain for 77 R100's

Look in the tank and see if there is any rust generally but specifically along the bottom seam near the outlet on the left side. Tanks are a problem because they are scarce now. Rusted mufflers will have seams that bulge. The mileage is low enough and the accessories indicate to me that it was purchased and ridden in the 70s and has been stored by its original owner or perhaps being sold by someone who picked it up cheap from the first owners family. The Luftmeister fairing and bags were a Factory/Dealer install in 77 along with the spill guards. The Reynolds back rest is after market as are the floor boards. Look for battery acid damage to the frame either side of the battery tray - if there isn't any, the bike was well cared for. Check the foot brake pedal. There are rows of tiny aluminum pyramids and with 35K miles the front row and a portion of the outside row will be worn off by half with the rest showing modest to no wear. Hand levers should be tight in the handles not floppy and switches may still have legible writing visible. The fairing is a BMW copy of a Vetter and uses the BMW headlight assembly and front turn signal assemblies. Problems you might encounter with this particular machine are mostly from sitting for years. Pushrod seals leak the older they get. The rear main seals were a common 70's replacement item after 30-40K. Early /7 transmissions had shimming issues but were usually replaced within the first 5K miles. Piston rings get stuck in the lands as the oil hardens from sitting and the piston actually settles slightly making it "slap" on start up. And of course, the rings become "welded" to the iron bore by rust from sitting. Carbs will probably need new parts and the ATE master cylinder is probably rust pitted along with the caliper piston and those items are directly related to maintenance. Does the bike run? Have you heard it run? If you buy it I would immediately perform a complete 10K service to bring it up to factory specs. That and riding it will uncover most of the nits you'll wind up picking. Battery and tires and you'll ride it for years with proper maintenance. I have the parts, time and experience to deal with that bike. I'd buy it if I had room for another. Just as a parts bike it has a lot of low mileage assemblies that would keep the rest of my bikes going for years. Hopefully all the keys will come with it.

For $2200,I would buy that bike in a heartbeat. She looks pretty much stock and unmolested aside from the fairing and floorboards. Stock,unmolested Airheads are becoming rare in my opinion. Buy it, you won't regret it.

Back