• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1972 R75/5 Carbs

RPGR90s

I'm working on a '72 R75/5 with the stock 32mm Bing's and I'm not seeing vacuum port take-offs like I had on my '73 R75/5.

Just wondering if this is normal. I was hoping to do a carb synch.

Thanks,

RPGR90s

On my /7, the takeoffs are on the sides facing you as you look at the carbs. On other bikes, they're actually underneath. I would think if the carb had them, they would be the same as your other /5. But they're not standard it seems. Bing sells a kit to add takeoff ports...requires drilling into the carb body at some point.

You can do a carb synch without the ports. Using the shorting technique will allow you to measure performance on each cylinder and make them run the same.

On my /7, the takeoffs are on the sides facing you as you look at the carbs. On other bikes, they're actually underneath. I would think if the carb had them, they would be the same as your other /5. But they're not standard it seems. Bing sells a kit to add takeoff ports...requires drilling into the carb body at some point.

You can do a carb synch without the ports. Using the shorting technique will allow you to measure performance on each cylinder and make them run the same.

Thanks for the reply. I can synch them without the vacuum ports, just wondered if they were supposed to be there on 72's.

Snowbum mentions there were no take-off ports on the early /5 CV carbs. Not sure the definition of "early"...he doesn't give a date or carb number. I'm sure Bing would know. From their website: "Some early CV Carbs did not have factory VTO ports".

Thanks for the reply. I can synch them without the vacuum ports, just wondered if they were supposed to be there on 72's.

I have a '72 and there are vac ports on my carbs. I also had a '72 that I bought new in the spring of '73. It was a leftover '72 at the dealer, and not a '73 model. I just blew up a picture of it, and it shows what I think is a screw where the port would be, so I believe it had ports as well. I sold that bike in '75 and got a '90S, so I never did any work on the carbs that I can remember. So I can't say for sure...it could just be a screw, or an indentation on the carb...50 year old photo, even digitally enhanced a bit still isn't 100%.

Back