• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1971 R60/5 oil indicator light

HippyGSrider

I changed the oil, filter and replaced the oil pan gasket on my 71 R60/5. Aside from breaking off one of the oil filter cover bolts (which I managed to extract) everything seemed to go well. However, when I push the ignition nail down, the yellow oil indicator light does not come on (it did prior to oil chance).
What did I miss, screw up, disconnect?

Bulb

Okay, being the jerk I am, I will suggest checking the bulb. Do the simple things first, check the bulb. Do the other lights come on when you push the nail? Could there be a problem with the switch?

Then any time there is a problem after doing a repair, recheck your work. I would rule out anything you did to the oil pan but I would recheck the filter installation.

From there you can check the switch, again being a jerk, are the wires connected, the plug to the switch good, did it get snagged and pulled off or broken while the work was being done?

After the simple things, I would go over the wiring diagram and check the light system. Sorry, I can't be of more help. St.

Okay, being the jerk I am, I will suggest checking the bulb. Do the simple things first, check the bulb. Do the other lights come on when you push the nail? Could there be a problem with the switch?

Then any time there is a problem after doing a repair, recheck your work. I would rule out anything you did to the oil pan but I would recheck the filter installation.

From there you can check the switch, again being a jerk, are the wires connected, the plug to the switch good, did it get snagged and pulled off or broken while the work was being done?

After the simple things, I would go over the wiring diagram and check the light system. Sorry, I can't be of more help. St.

Thanks for the suggestions and you are not being a jerk at all.
Being new to airheads and this bike, I find it best to ask those with some experience when my internet research falls short and I appreciate all suggestions.
The light worked prior to the oil change, so , while possible, it would be a coincidence if it were to have blown at that time.
I will check the schematics as I am not sure where the switch would be. I will also remove and reinstall the oil filter.

I changed the oil, filter and replaced the oil pan gasket on my 71 R60/5. Aside from breaking off one of the oil filter cover bolts (which I managed to extract) everything seemed to go well. However, when I push the ignition nail down, the yellow oil indicator light does not come on (it did prior to oil chance).
What did I miss, screw up, disconnect?

Remove the connector from the oil pressure switch (located on left side of the block and ground it to the engine. Push the key in and see if the lamp lights.

If the lamp lights, the switch is bad as it is stuck open (no continuity to light the lamp)
If it doesn't light, then next check the bulb in the headlight.

Remove the connector from the oil pressure switch (located on left side of the block and ground it to the engine. Push the key in and see if the lamp lights.

If the lamp lights, the switch is bad as it is stuck open (no continuity to light the lamp)
If it doesn't light, then next check the bulb in the headlight.

Thank you. I will give that a try tonight!

Back