• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1200GS: On the fence to sell or store for 5 years

dhesty

Hello - I am a new member, and I'm happy to have joined this group. I have a 2010 1200GS and a dilemma. I am moving to S. America for ~5 years and I'm trying to decide whether to sell or store my GS. The bike has ~15K miles and runs great. When we return to the U.S., I will be fully retired and plan to do some trans-U.S. touring. My wife has not (yet) committed to touring with me on the motorcycle, mainly because she finds the GS uncomfortable as a passenger. One potential hassle is that our storage facility requires the the motorcycle be registered annually, and the state requires an annual inspection to register, which would not be practical; but I'm still seeking a solution. Although I hate to part with this motorcycle, I keep thinking that there will be other equally appealing new or used motorcycles on the market in 2025, including ones that should be better suited for touring with my wife. Moreover, I know someone else would enjoy this moto if I do sell.

I appreciate any insights to making this decision to sell or to store the 1200GS for 5 years.

Hello - I am a new member, and I'm happy to have joined this group. I have a 2010 1200GS and a dilemma. I am moving to S. America for ~5 years and I'm trying to decide whether to sell or store my GS. The bike has ~15K miles and runs great. When we return to the U.S., I will be fully retired and plan to do some trans-U.S. touring. My wife has not (yet) committed to touring with me on the motorcycle, mainly because she finds the GS uncomfortable as a passenger. One potential hassle is that our storage facility requires the the motorcycle be registered annually, and the state requires an annual inspection to register, which would not be practical; but I'm still seeking a solution. Although I hate to part with this motorcycle, I keep thinking that there will be other equally appealing new or used motorcycles on the market in 2025, including ones that should be better suited for touring with my wife. Moreover, I know someone else would enjoy this moto if I do sell.

I appreciate any insights to making this decision to sell or to store the 1200GS for 5 years.

Take it with you, plenty of places to ride in South America, sell it there before you come home.

I'd let it go. Five years could turn into seven or 20! Seems like too much hassle to have to worry about if the bike is safe, was it pickled well, do I trust those people that are holding it, will the seals dry out in three years requiring me to spend a lot more money than needed, how much is it to store/license/insure/etc... I totally get the connection that one has with a bike, but a 15 year old GS won't be highly prized by many individuals and will only depreciate in value. The best would be to sell it to a buddy who is going to use it regularly, but not abuse it, then allow you to buy it back if you wanted ;)

Good day,

While the sentimental attachment to any cycle is significant, I would suggest you consider the decision coldly. I faced a similar dilemma with an old Merdeces 300D that I spent a good deal of time refurbishing. When we moved cross country, I placed it in storage thinking I would come back to retrieve it in a year or two. That was now 15 years ago and I have spent 6 times what I bought the car for on storage fees. This is fairly rare euro model with a manual transmission but it's not that rare!.

I could find a much better example now for the money spend on storage alone. Unless your cycle is singular in some way, the rational decison is to sell and find suitable cycle when you return. Presuming you have the time, I suggest you price it if at high market value so you don't feel duped if it sells. Of course in 3 months spring fever will make any sale easier. If it turns out your GS was the ideal model, there will be plenty on the market in 2025 and you will not be carrying the depreciation, storage fees, insurance and mental costs of holding on to it.

Best of luck on your travels.

Be well, ride safely.
RK

I would wholeheartedly agree with other's view to sell it. These things don't store well. I've bought a few that had been stored and it got pretty costly to get them right again. And, as others have said, it will drop in value over the years. You may wish you had gotten a better price for it before you left.
Also, in five years you may very well want a completely different machine. We all get older. I'm glad you mentioned your wife's feelings. As far as I can see, looking at endless pictures in the MOA news, GS bikes are strictly single person motorcycles. They are always loaded to the gills with the pillion seat piled high. These people don't travel lightly. Even if you do, I personally would not want to spend endless days sitting on that little pad that BMW provides for the passenger. Take a look at the passenger seat on a Gold Wing. My wife has, unfortunately. Simplify your life while down in South America. There will be thousands of choices in motorcycles when you get back.

Find a different storage facility. If you're going to be thousands of miles away, what difference does it make which neighborhood, city, county or state you store it in?

Sounds like your facility is the problem. I know of no storage facilities that inventory all customers stored contents annually and then requires registrations. There must be plenty around you that don't require such.

Otherwise, just list it in the For Sale section since this marketplace has already been aroused.

And welcome to the forum!

I would sell it. Five year storage is never kind to a motorcycle even though it can be done. And just imagine the fun you can have buying another motorcycle in 5 years.

Take it with you, plenty of places to ride in South America, sell it there before you come home.

I strongly second this. Have no idea where you are going but from my very limit experience riding there there are some spatular sights to see.

I strongly second this. Have no idea where you are going but from my very limit experience riding there there are some spatular sights to see.

This might work. But it raises questions. How long can it remain as registered in the US. In the same state? A different state? Can it be registered in the South American country? Drivers license? Insurance?

So maybe a very good idea. Maybe problematic.

Sell it. Depreciation + storage costs + the inevitable cost of refurbishing the bits that rust or rot, + new tires and battery, + the cost of annual inspection/registration for 5 years... you’ll be deeply underwater in the bike. If you ship it to SA you’ll have to post a carnet, and won’t be able to sell the bike there until it’s fully imported for that purpose.

Sell it, it’s not a particularly notable/collectible year for the GS. Buy something to ride once you’re in SA, then sell that before you come home.

$0.02,

Best,
DeVern

Sell it.

Taking it with you to South America will, depending on the country, require you to post a cash deposit (a carnet) promising to not sell it in country. As well, if your wife is uncomfortable on this GS either she's not touring with you upon your return or you're not going at all.

Edit: Oops, I see Devern already referenced the carnet.

Sell it. You can always get another motorcycle but not so easily another wife willing to tuck in behind you on the pillon. If you enjoy her company make every accommodation to include her. Life is shorter than you think!

This might work. But it raises questions. How long can it remain as registered in the US. In the same state? A different state? Can it be registered in the South American country? Drivers license? Insurance?

So maybe a very good idea. Maybe problematic.

Yes all true and maybe other issues to overcome.

BUT what a great opportunity for a GS Adventure Rider....look at this a possible great adventure....

Other GS riders pay a lot of money to ride in South America, or other locals....

This is an opportunity....the best in life is often not easy

One more "sell it". You have no idea what your mental frame of mind will be when you return and as has already been said, long term storage is not friendly to bikes. You'll have not problem replacing it when you return, if you decide that is the type of bike you want. If your tastes have changed in five years, you'll be very glad you didn't keep it.

Back