• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1150GS Fuel Pump noise

moto479

Hello MOA,

I recently installed a Euromotoelectrics 43mm fuel pump kit into my 2002 1150GS. The original one was a mess. Rubber was literally floating around in the tank. The new one worked fine but it was whining like a turbine. Really noisy. I sent a video to Euromotoelectrics. They told me it was a little on noisy side and they sent me a new one with zero hassles. We put the new one in and heard the same mechanical whine. Has anyone else experienced noisy aftermarket fuel pumps? The bike is running fine, but it sounds loud and annoying. Should I be concerned, or let it ride and get over it?

Thank you,
Mark in GA

Is it noisy with a full tank of gas or nearly empty? I installed a replica pump from Beemer Boneyard in January. The pump is a little noisy, but recently I ran the tank down to nearly empty and the pump noise was very noticeable. Once the tank was filled the pump noise was reduced to a very normal/acceptable level.

It make the noise when the tank is full and when empty. All filters and internal hoses were replaced as well. The guy who did the work is a very reputable mechanic at an established BMW dealership, so I'm confident in the install.

Not to say that your mechanic did exactly this, but on the 1100GS and R it's possible to mistakenly install the fuel pump plate the wrong orientation on the tank. I did this on my own bike and it caused the fuel pump inlet to be very close to the top of the tank. The OEM fuel pump installed this way became very noisy and the low fuel light was stuck half-on because its float was jammed against the top of the tank. I was able to correct this problem before it did any permanent damage by taking the pump plate back out and turning it 60 degrees, then reinstalling.

In my experience aftermarket fuel pumps tend to operate quieter than the original VDO unit, but I'm no expert. I have had both a Kemso (cheapo Ebay/Amazon brand) and a Quantum in my R850R temporarily and both were almost inaudible when priming before startup and I couldn't hear them at all when the bike was running. In contrast, I can hear the original VDO pump even with my helmet on and earplugs in, and can still hear it while the bike is idling at a stop. It's louder when the tank is close to empty and I wouldn't say it's annoyingly loud, but it's always present.

Assuming your low fuel light is working fine (which rules out the incorrect installation I did), it's possible that the EnDuraLast pump is just a noisy pump. Whether it's noisier than my VDO pump would require audio or video recordings for comparison; if you want, I can send you a link to a video I took a few months ago where the pump is audible at idle.

Thanks for the reply. I went for a ride today in the North GA mountains and the bike ran great. Snappy throttle response, smooth idle, etc. The pump whine was consistent even after a fill-up. I think the Enduralast might just be a noisy pump.

Take care,

Mark

Exact Same Issue/Non-Issue

Hello MOA,

I recently installed a Euromotoelectrics 43mm fuel pump kit into my 2002 1150GS. The original one was a mess. Rubber was literally floating around in the tank. The new one worked fine but it was whining like a turbine. Really noisy. I sent a video to Euromotoelectrics. They told me it was a little on noisy side and they sent me a new one with zero hassles. We put the new one in and heard the same mechanical whine. Has anyone else experienced noisy aftermarket fuel pumps? The bike is running fine, but it sounds loud and annoying. Should I be concerned, or let it ride and get over it?

Thank you,
Mark in GA

I had the EXACT same thing happen when I replaced the pump in my 2002 R1150GS. EME gave me a replacement (great guys) and it was just as loud. No issues after 5,00 miles. I wouldn't worry about it.

I had the EXACT same thing happen when I replaced the pump in my 2002 R1150GS. EME gave me a replacement (great guys) and it was just as loud. No issues after 5,00 miles. I wouldn't worry about it.

I have had the same issue with my EME aftermarket pump. They did not offer a replacement.
Aside from the noise there have been no issues.
I've since read the noise is a common complaint.

Make sure your fuel filter is not partially blocked. Noise will increase as the flow becomes more restricted.

Make sure the rubber isolator pad is on the bottom of the pump at the inlet. Yes, the new pumps are somewhat noisier, but the rubber pad helps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Fuel Pump Noise SOLVED

I'm happy to report that the issue is solved! The Brook Reams video of a GS fuel pump swap was a life-saver.

1. The Enduralast pumps (both of them) sounded like a band-saw on sheet metal.
2. I bought and installed a Quantum Fuel Systems pump. It's awesome so far. It included a "koozie" that wraps the pump. Great pressure and totally quiet.
3. Most aftermarket kits don't come with the OEM style vibration damper, just a rubber ring. Spend the money and get the real one! There's an insert on the rubber that fits perfectly in the pump holder. BMW 16 14 1 341 232

Thanks for all the replies! Enjoy the fall riding weather.

Mark in GA
1978 R80/7
2002 R1150GS

Good damper.jpgQuantum Pump.jpg

Same

I had the same issue 1000 miles into my cross country trip. Worked fine for 3000 miles but changed it anyways to be safe. The old one didn't have a "koozie" but did not make noise for years. Thought it might be a bushing going out.

Back