• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'09 F650gs won't shift after lever swap

I recently installed an adjustable gear shift lever from Wunderlich on my 2009 F650GS. Now, I can't upshift beyond 1st gear. Has anyone experienced this and if so, what's the solution? I even put back the original gear shift lever and still cannot upshift beyond 1st gear. I would appreciate any and all opinions.
Thanks

Will

I recently installed an adjustable gear shift lever from Wunderlich on my 2009 F650GS. Now, I can't upshift beyond 1st gear. Has anyone experienced this and if so, what's the solution? I even put back the original gear shift lever and still cannot upshift beyond 1st gear. I would appreciate any and all opinions.
Thanks

Will
Hi Will, that's a strange one. The only thing that I have seen that takes out gear selection like that is a severe blow to the lever itself. The blow bends the shaft and causes the shifter fork to miss. Did the old one come off fine? Did the new one go on fine?
I'm going to fix up your title so it will attract others to your post. Good luck, Gary

Hi Gary, thanks for fixing up the title. Yes, it was quite easy removing the old gear shift lever and installing and removing the new one. Do you think that the splines need to be lubricated using some sort of teflon spray? There is nothing bent. I'm just bewildered. Thanks once again.

Will

From way over here Will, I can't tell. Being that it is an '09, is there still some warranty left? As it seems that it was working before the shifter change, I'd suspect it is not tragic. There are a number of things that I would try if it was my bike but I'm hesitant to put some of it in print as it would be hard to actually make clear without being at the actual bike. A bit of a Google search has some hints, if everything is as presented, I'm thinking it's "in-between" gears due to perhaps a half a manipulation of the shift shaft when the lever was changed.
Good luck and try to post the solution. Gary

Did you move the lever up on the shift shaft from it's previous position? If so, this could cause the lever to impact the clutch cover and limit travel.

Hello Paul, I'm pretty sure that I did just that. I've removed the gear lever and repositioned it several times. In one instance, I was able to shift to 2nd gear and no further. I think I created a real magilla out of all this. Talking about leaving well enough alone. I don't really want to bring it in to the dealer just yet (warranty expired), but if I have to, I will. Thanks for your input.

Will

Back