• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

09 1200RT...trying to find my way through the first year

R

Rtinger

2009RT lower suspension

...'m overwhelmed just reading the owner's manual...I 've ridding since 63, but this motto is like a new space for me.

What is the heck is the tire pressure at 2.5 bar?

Is it ok to put 20-50 Amsoil oil...I live is a stable weather tropics: Hawaii.

Is there a maintenance time table somewhere? oil, brake fluid, rear drive oil, how often should I clear the rear view mirrors etc.

Does anyone recommend any particular online store for parts?

How do I know where to set up the suspension pre-load if I am 180lbs. and ride light? or if I take my 130lbs getting chubbier girlfriend on the back?

Where do I get those "heavy duty Phillips" light bulb that are speculated to last longer than the originals?

Does this bike run ok on 87 gas or MUST it have 98 premium?

Is it recommendable to put sliders and an engine guard, in case of dropsies?

I just hope I don't drive everyone nut around here on my first year!!

keep Gas in it (I prefer 91 or higher just for Mileage) make sure tires have 35ish psi ,biggest thing i realize is checking tires and Gas,and of course the site glass making sure oil is in there,makes for a nice worry free ride.:wave

So many questions. :laugh

What is the heck is the tire pressure at 2.5 bar?

Google is your friend. 1 bar = 14.5037738 pounds per square inch.

Is it ok to put 20-50 Amsoil oil...I live is a stable weather tropics: Hawaii.

There's a chart in your manual that says what oil viscosity to use for what temperatures. 20W-50 would likely cover Hawaii.

Is there a maintenance time table somewhere? oil, brake fluid, rear drive oil, how often should I clear the rear view mirrors etc.

Again, google would have found many sites with such info. Here's one of them.

http://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules.aspx

Does anyone recommend any particular online store for parts?

How patient are you? Chicago BMW sells at 20% discount. But, they ship when they feel like shipping and you don't know if your order is going to come in 2 day, two weeks, or 2 months. You'll also want to know about http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=M&series=K26&body=ohne&model=R1200RT&zone=ECE&arch=0

How do I know where to set up the suspension pre-load if I am 180lbs. and ride light? or if I take my 130lbs getting chubbier girlfriend on the back?

Roughly, you want the difference between an unloaded suspension and the loaded suspension to be between 25-30% of the total available suspension travel. Then you fine tune to your taste. Setting the preload involves tape measures and the help of a friend or two. Again, google can provide details.

Where do I get those "heavy duty Phillips" light bulb that are speculated to last longer than the originals?

Last longer? The Vision Plus are brighter, but they last shorter. Those are the only bulbs I've looked at.

Does this bike run ok on 87 gas or MUST it have 98 premium?

87 is US low test and 98 would be euro high test, equating to approx 92 in US terms. There's a sticker on the tank telling you want to run, no? Why would you not believe it?

Is it recommendable to put sliders and an engine guard, in case of dropsies?

Personal choice.

SERVICE INTERVALS

Oil (Amsoil Synthetic 20W50) & Filter (w/ drain bolt crush washer) Every 6,000 miles

Spark Plugs (4) - (Bosch YR 5 LDE) - 12127671301 Every 24,000 miles

Brake Fluid (DOT 4) – Complete Refill Every 4 Years

Gearbox (Transmission) Oil (75W140 Amsoil Synthetic Gear Lube) Every 24,000 miles or 2 Years

Generator Belt (Non-tension Adjustable) - 12317690571 Every 24,000 miles

Air Filter - 13717672552 Every 12,000 miles

Final Drive Grease (180 ml refill – 75W90 Amsoil Synthetic Gear Lube) Every 12,000 miles or 2 Years

Valve Clearance Adjustment Every 6,000 miles

Fuel Filter Lifetime

I pulled this info from my personal computer log for maintenance. This is what I follow, and I am just suggesting it to you for consideration.

Good Luck and Enjoy the Bike! :thumb

The BMW dealer should have a nice Heyco stick air pressure gauge that reads in lbs. and bar measurements. Last I looked they were around $15.00. They last about 5 years before they start giving false readings. You may think that's a steep price for a stick gauge, but I calibrated mine against a cheapy stick gauge (the kind you usually see for $1.98 at the drug store or gas station) and the difference in lb. pressure was about 8 lbs.

Thank you all....I feel welcome....I hope I don't wear it out! :love

I am running to the Bank to get another loan to buy extra stuff for my bike...:wow

sliders
engine guard
brake pedal extender
shift gear pedal extender
back rest for the missus
a huge duffle bag for trunk space which will need retrofitting by a seamstress to lockin the bag to the rack with custom straps
extra front lights
extra rear lights, possibly run/turn/brake system
an eventual front shield that work better than stock
those scratch cover thingies that go all over the bike and make it ugly

HOW ABOUT A THEFT ALARM? I read they dont work well...is that true?

a nifty digital air gauge perhaps with a teddy pic on it

and the eventual BMW jacket to set me apart from all the Hog riders I will smoke on the road....nah! just kidding.

Where do you live? Around here (SF Bay Area) thefts of BMWs isn't a major issue. That is a good thing for me as I have been known to leave the keys in my bike. Often.

Also, your bike comes with an "immobilizer". It's the bit of hardware and software that won't let the engine start unless the engine management system first communicates with a valid key. What that translates to is this: you don't have to worry about joy riders, only those who want to chop the bike for parts.

As for working... I suppose its fine as long as you hear it. Don't expect anyone else to pay attention.

Thank you all....I feel welcome....I hope I don't wear it out! :love

I am running to the Bank to get another loan to buy extra stuff for my bike...:wow

sliders
engine guard
brake pedal extender
shift gear pedal extender
back rest for the missus
a huge duffle bag for trunk space which will need retrofitting by a seamstress to lockin the bag to the rack with custom straps
extra front lights
extra rear lights, possibly run/turn/brake system
an eventual front shield that work better than stock
those scratch cover thingies that go all over the bike and make it ugly

a nifty digital air gauge perhaps with a teddy pic on it

and the eventual BMW jacket to set me apart from all the Hog riders I will smoke on the road....nah! just kidding.

Wooooooooo
Take a deep breath.
Sit down with a glass of wine and thum through the manuel. You don't need to read every word, all the important stuff has a picture or chart.
I have an 06 and the 2 best things I bought was the factory trunk keyed to match the bike,I hate the look but it's so convinent everytime I take it off I end up putting back on and I bought the service CD, It was the only way I would have every found the air filter.

Living in Hawai don't you have bigger problems right now? I just read a sunami warning was issued. Good luck and get to high ground!

Rod

Back