• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

04 K1200 GT need to accessorize for touring

madmatt

gotgas-touring nogas-lost
open to suggestions to equip my (new to me) 04 K12GT for some long distance rides. I had a K75RT with tank bag, trunk top case and saddlebags; only have saddlebags on the GT AND they are small. what were your experiences with what brand tank bag (& mounting hardware), top case and/or platform bracket to carry stuff behind seat and handle bar mounts for GPS etc., extra power outlets??
need to get this done in time for MOA Rally in Billings.

thanks matt:scratch

Rear luggage: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51578&rnd=04282014 Shows the add-on plate that BMW sells to enlarge the rear rack. To that you can add soft cases from RKA or others, or just strap on a waterproof duffel. The plate ships with latch but no lock, I have never locked mine.

Tank bag: check out the Bags Connection bags from SW Mototech, available through www.twistedthrottle.com. They use a quick-detach mount attached to the fuel filler ring and are convenient when it comes to fuel stops. I ran a TrialQL bag on mine but I like a large tank bag; you may find the City Bag Size more to your liking.

Best,

DG

Rear luggage: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51578&rnd=04282014 Shows the add-on plate that BMW sells to enlarge the rear rack. To that you can add soft cases from RKA or others, or just strap on a waterproof duffel. The plate ships with latch but no lock, I have never locked mine.

DG

Here's a picture of the plate.
IMG_01341.jpg

I have a 47 litre Givi topcase and a large SW Motech tank bag. Pictures in the "post a picture of your K-bike" thread. Lots of space for travelling to the rally. See you there.

I just bought a 2004 K1200gt myself. Went got a GIVI XS308 tank bag. Miss having a little glove box that I had on my 99 R11RT to store glasses and cell phone , ect. Hopefully this work out .

I have the plate to which a Tour-a-Tech plate can be mounted for wider support of a bag, etc, I do lock mine to prevent accidental release if nothing else, had it keyed to the ignition when I purchased the bike. I use an RKA tank bag with the front straps mounted on the radiator supports and single rear strap attached below the front of the seat to framing. Too tall of a tank bag prevents seeing the gauges clearly, but on the GT with seat in the upper position that may not be an issue. I also have TechSpec grips for knee support and to cover years of scuffing. I use Champion custom ear plugs with transducers from Bob Weiss, with a basic iPod shuffle for hearing protection and occasional music. Regardless of windscreen height or protection, I always wear hearing protection.....wish I always had....

Have fun on your new-to-you bike! Oh, FYI....depending on your riding style and load....the rubber bumper on the center stand of the GT is thicker than on the RS. I borrowed a buddie's '04 GT one time and until I removed that bumper, my wife and I were dragging the centerstand and were not even riding aggressively.

Back