• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'04 GT starting issue

hcmiller52

I bought a gorgeous-almost new K12GT in December with 3,600 miles on the clock (I still can't believe how little some people ride!) and the bike now has just over 6K. It's going in for it's 6,000 tune-up at Max's next week. My question is about starting. In the morning, the bike starts twice, not reving above 1,000 rpm, and quits. The third time is the trick, it catches and revs to 1,500 or so and there's no further problem. The '98 RS that I replaced with this bike always caught the fiirst time, every time. Is there something specific the folks should be looking at during the service? The bike is still well within warrantee. Maybe it's a simple adjustment or maybe the Motronic unit.

Thoughts much appreciated.

Curt

I had coughing, choking rough idle issues when I first picked up mine. The dealer spotted it right away - some sort of hose not being clamped right. :dunno

BMW replaced some ECUs under a "silent" recall in '04 and '05 to people who complained about stalling problems and rough running on their K1200GTs. If you do a Google search you'll find some threads on other forums documenting the problem along with the part numbers for ECUs that had the problem. This might be one source of your problem.

Michael Cohen

Thanks, Gail and Michael -

The ECU recall is the first thing I thought of but went to Max's today and they ran the VIN...the ECU recall was done. Bike goes in next wek for 6K and they'll look at it then.

Curt

Back