• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

03 k1200gt

Jim Rogers

Considering buying an 03 K1200GT. What does the experience of the group say I should think about when inspecting the bike? Any common issues or concerns I should know about? Thanks in Advance

I bought a new '04 K1200GT as part of my motorcycling makeover after 20 years of riding Gold Wings. Technologically speaking, considering the handling and acceleration, I was "awed" everytime I rode the bike. To combat helmet wind buffeting, I added a larger aftermarket windshield to allow me to ride with my faceshield "up" on my full face helmet.

Mechanically, the bike ran perfect with no "surging" that others may have encountered. One pain was removing the many screws and fasteners to free the plastic body work from the undersides of the engine to enable oil filter changes.
You also have to be very careful not to scratch the color matched sidebags.

I had the options of ABS, heated handgrips and heated seat. Sadly, my butt would never get comfortable on the bike for extended trips. My butt would be screaming after 200 miles. The contours of the seat seemed to push my 5'10" frame forward where the seat narrowed and the pain would begin. I know other owners have resorted to after market seats and modifications. Since I had a heated seat, that seemed to complicate saddle reworking, so after 12,000 miles I traded the GT in for a '05 R1200GS. For me the GT was like having a "drop dead gorgeous" girlfriend with kids. Eventually the excessive baggage becomes just too much to deal with. No regrets, but time to move on.

Ckeck for oil leaks at the timing cover and the rear of the engine, both expensive to fix.

Look at the clutch fluid. If it's dirty and low, suspect the slave cylinder.

Turn the rear wheel slowly backwards. It should turn smoothly. If not, the ball bearing on the ring gear may be on it's way out.

Some of these bikes are trouble-free. Others are money holes.

Back