• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r80rt

1. T

Crashed! On my inherited 85 R80RT :-(

I'm so bummed! I crashed on my 85 BMW R80RT, inherited from my father (monort on this forum). It was just about to hit 272k miles! On Tuesday I was riding home from work when things felt all...wobbly. I was in the carpool lane on the 91 so once I realized something was definitely not right, I...
  2. Y

New member in west Texas

Hello all, Excited as hell to learn and get riding the 1984 R80RT I recently purchased. Lots of great roads and open space out here in west TX for the bike tourists amongst the MOA. As a National Park employee I recommend Big Bend and Fort Davis areas, White Sands in NM, Guadalupe NP, and...
  3. T

To (wind)shield, or not to shield? (R80RT)

It's been quite hot around Seattle the past two weeks (high 80's to low 90's). Riding has been fine, but creeping along in our traffic with the sun beating down is bad. I decided to take the windshield off. What a difference. No only am I cooler but the bike seems to fly. It's like swimming...
  4. T

R80RT cruising speed

I've put about 1000 miles on my '84 R80RT since I got it 2 months ago, mostly commuting to work. It only has 19,500 miles on it. Half my trip is on interstate highway. I'm still trying to figure out my new bike's personality. It seems unlikely to get me into speeding trouble. My last bike...
  5. T

Snowflake wheels: design fail?

I just had my first run-in with the rear wheel on my '84 R80RT. I can't believe how close the valve stem hole is placed to one of the wheel struts and how little clearance there is for an air pump head. I'm used to using a good quality stand-up bicycle pump, but the head on that won't approach...
  6. T

R80RT - general running ?'s

I just traded my '74 R90/6 for a '84 R80RT (plus some cash) with only 18.5k miles on it. I had basic service from a very experienced BMW mechanic/rider (new fluids, tires, battery, splines lubed, etc). Three questions have developed that I'd like to here. Overall, the bike runs great and is a...
  7. M

'86 R80RT paint progress

Back