• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best online retailer for BMW riding gear

tpauley

Any suggestions for the best online retailers for BMW rider's gear? European or North American. Thanks!

Get your sizing done locally so that you're sure of the correct size. If you can!

Any suggestions for the best online retailers for BMW rider's gear? European or North American. Thanks!
You don’t mention where you are. If your in the northeast, you can sign up for MAX BMW’s email blasts and watch for the specials.
Here is the special that just expired-

Save 10% on BMW jackets, pants, gloves, and boots both in store and online.
Stop in to any MAX BMW location to save, or use code "Summer19" when shopping online.
THIS ENDS ON SATURDAY, JUNE 22ND! DON'T WAIT!

And another local brick and mortar shop bites the dust.. ..

Re-Fitting local and ordering from far away?
As far as I’m concerned, Lew is right on this point.
Supporting a dealer that has gone out on the “financial” limb to stock this expensive gear should be supported as best a customer can......not to mention having staff on hand to help you with the correct fit.
OM

Get your sizing done locally so that you're sure of the correct size. If you can!

Unless there's a special sale the online dealer prices are usually the same as your local dealer.
We usually buy from the place we try on gear.
Don't be afraid to ask your dealer for a reasonable discount.

My wife tried on some Klim pants at the national and she figured out what waist size she needed but they did not have talls.
Since they spent time with us and had gear to try on we called them when we returned home and ordered the pants in a tall size.

And if one attends the International Rally one might find the gear manufacturers on hand doing sizing and styling/function, and they can send you off—usually recommending a local dealer—with a list of correct sizing, etc. Schuberth is one such vendor. They fitted me for a helmet at the SLC rally, and the following spring I bought that helmet—but from my local dealer because I wanted local support on any service or warranty issues. Plus, the dealer transferred over my Sena unit at no charge.

I buy a lot of stuff online, but never gear. It is the hardest stuff to get correct on fitment or to file a warranty claim. And personally, it just doesn’t feel right to use the local guy on sizing then ignore him for the purchase. I think Dante has a level for that...

Best,
DG

The OP's question regarding "best online retailers" itself raises more questions.

Since the OP is presumably a member of MOA, he must already know that his nearest BMW dealer can supply whatever gear any other BMW retailer can supply. But he asks for "best" and "online". I think that if we knew what he meant by best, and if "online" means able to ship directly to him, the suggestions here could be better focussed.

I'm imagining him as a merchant marine seaman who bought a used BMW from a private party and has no particular allegiance to any dealer, and can't drop in to try on gear. He's at sea now and wants to have gear waiting for him when he returns to where he's storing his bike.

On the other hand, he may simply be seeking the cheapest price delivered to his door and not be concerned about fitting, warranty, and long term financial stability of any particular dealership.

My local dealer gives me breaks big enough that online shopping is a moot point.
I'd rather spend $20 more on riding gear than see them going out of business because of the Chinamart mindset of so many people... YMMV

I agree completely with the comments above about supporting local and practice it as much as possible, my local dealers will often match or come close enough to online pricing that it isn't even a money issue. As other's have mentioned, I use the National Rallies to do fitting exercises so that I know what sizes actually work for me. Sizing charts are a poor substitute for an actual fitting and moving around opportunity.

When I do need to buy online I've found the following the best (in alphabetical order):

• Bob's BMW (US)
  • Fortnine (Canada)
  • Max BMW (US)
  • Nippy Normans (UK)
  • Revzilla (US)
  • Sierra BMW (US)

Unfortunately, my "local" dealer is a 2 ½ hour ride from my house and he typically doesn't keep a very large inventory of gear. I do try to buy something from them when I'm there for service, but shopping for gear there is not easy when it's so far away and it's a crap shoot whether they have my size.

Unfortunately, my "local" dealer is a 2 ½ hour ride from my house and he typically doesn't keep a very large inventory of gear. I do try to buy something from them when I'm there for service, but shopping for gear there is not easy when it's so far away and it's a crap shoot whether they have my size.

Doesn't your "local" dealer have telephone service to help eliminate your shopping "crap shoot"?

Friedle

Call your dealer and ask about making an appointment with whomever oversees their gear sales. Ask “if I find a suit/pants/whatever that I like but you don’t have the right size, will you order it at the same price?
And if it still isn’t right on the fit, will you work with me on exchanges until it’s right?” I think you’ll find the answers acceptable. And in western Oregon, it’s hard to find a *bad* 2.5hr motorcycle ride. :)
Plus, you’ll have some karma in the bank if/when you have a motorcycle problem.

Best,
DG

Doesn't your "local" dealer have telephone service to help eliminate your shopping "crap shoot"?

Friedle

Sure, I could do that...but why? I go to Sierra's website, check on what they have (including sizes), then place an order. I'm still supporting a BMW dealer.

My dealer gets all of my service and motorcycle purchases, so it's not like I don't support them. When I lived in Seattle, my dealer there got all my purchases because he stocked a large inventory. My dealer in Eugene, OR has made the decision to not stock a lot of soft goods, so no problem...I'll just purchase elsewhere.

I support my BMW dealer whenever possible with one exception - - - tires. I buy my tires from Revzilla and install them myself. I usually replace 4 rear and 2 front tires every year. It saves me several hundred dollars and a lot of time doing it myself.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I made the mistake of mentioning the price I paid for tires from our then local dealer to someone at breakfast one day. He went to the dealer and complained. The next time I saw him I mentioned that he bought one set a year or two and I bought 4 sets a year, and maybe talk to me next time before he goes off on our dealer. We were in Texas in 2003, maybe 2004, and dropped our RS in a car wash and smashed the left saddlebag. Three dealers in Texas couldn't or wouldn't help us. I called our "local" dealer over 1000 miles away and asked if they would order a saddlebag so we'd at least have a replacement when we got home. "Where are you?" they asked. The next morning a new saddlebag arrived at our hotel lobby courtesy of FedEx overnight. They took it off a new bike and ordered a replacement for theirs. They even pulled our records and keyed the bag for us before shipping it!

So yeah, I do mail order some things, but the majority of our tires and gear comes from our local dealer, EuroSport Asheville. Service too now that the ground seems so much harder to get to and away from. One just never knows where they might be when they need something, like a saddlebag.

I try on different gear and sizes when I travel based on what dealer has available at that time. At this point, I’m just window shopping and researching. When I am ready to buy something, I then know what I want and the fitment. I don’t have any local dealer, but try to order over phone from regional ones. As long as I’m close in price, I’ll go brick and mortar over the phone.

Back