• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS Mount for 2011 R1200RT

dirtmerchant

I am looking for a mounting system for a Zumo 550 on my '11 R1200RT. I am fine with a RAM Ball but the GPS can't block the ignition or instrument panel. It needs to be relatively stable too. I know there are several systems that mount above the instrument panel but I do not want to disassemble the bike to install them; unless there is no other viable alternatives.

Ideas and photos are appreciated.

BMW makes a mount that picks up four bolts across the handle bars where it attaches to the steering yoke. Its made for the BMW Navigator which is a re-badged Zumo 660/665. It might work for the 550. When tight it allows you to pivot the GPS to suit your taste and avoid glare when in direct sun. Its a nice spot but the only problem is it gets eclipsed by the stock tank bag at the bottom. I use a smaller tank bag so it works for me. Not an issue with the ignition switch. I'll try to send a picture.

BMW makes a mount that picks up four bolts across the handle bars where it attaches to the steering yoke. Its made for the BMW Navigator which is a re-badged Zumo 660/665. It might work for the 550. When tight it allows you to pivot the GPS to suit your taste and avoid glare when in direct sun. Its a nice spot but the only problem is it gets eclipsed by the stock tank bag at the bottom. I use a smaller tank bag so it works for me. Not an issue with the ignition switch. I'll try to send a picture.

Thanks Dude

Wunderlich makes a nice mount for the 2010-2011. I just put it on my '10 and like it. It's very sturdy and wasn't to hard to install.

BMW Mount Installed!

I have installed the BMW factory mount and the 550 an an "11 RT.

It does mount up just fine but I am not liking the angle I am limited to. (Glare)

I would like to rotate the unit toward me another 15 degrees or so but the bottom of the mount contacts the glare shield.

I have trouble with the Information readout also from glare - maybe my eyes?

Mind you you I just got the girl and only have 781 miles on it but the glare issue has to be dealt with.

I do not think it will be a big deal to move it up just a bit on the mount but I have not done so yet.

I will try to post some images this evenuing when I get off work.

I have quite happy with mounting a RAM ball onto the clutch reservoir cover. In fact, I have one on the brake reservoir as well to hold a radar detector.

No sight obstructions, the screen is close to the bar for a quick tap without having to reach.

I have quite happy with mounting a RAM ball onto the clutch reservoir cover. In fact, I have one on the brake reservoir as well to hold a radar detector.

No sight obstructions, the screen is close to the bar for a quick tap without having to reach.

Hopefully you're not doing this on a 2010-later RT with rubber-mounted reservoirs.

Here's a shot of the BMW mount on my 09 RT. The angle is deceiving. It does not obstruct the instrument cluster.

Attachments

• 182.jpg
    182.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 480
+1 on the Wunderlich Navagator mount. It is in the picture below to the upper right of the red box:
RT%20IC%20TPMS.png

The Wunderlich attaches to the top of the dash using the two screws found there. HERE is the page for the 2010+ model and HERE are the installation instructions. IMHO, this places the GPS in the ideal location for a quick glance without taking your eyes too far away from the road ahead. It does not block the road or the instruments.

The picture above shows the cradle (sold separately) for a N??vi 550 but most cradles mount using standard hole-spacing to the Navagator's front plate. Also, note that the front plate is tilt-adjustable which allows for a viewing angle that reduces glare.

From the angle I shot from the seat the mount for the gps and iPhone look like they block the instruments, they do not. I use this setup along with the BMW RT tank bag. I can use the bag, see the gps and iPhone and read the instruments. I also have along arm with an adapter to use a video camera with that is easy to switch out with either mount.

I called GPS City. I got the shortest arms to use with them. They are the 1 & 3/4 arms. The next up is 3" and I found them too long. The nice thing is that they are easy on & off and changing a cradle is easy and cheap. I just replaced the 3G cradle with one for my iPhone 4 and it took 60 seconds to change out. I actually pulled the GPS tonight since I got my new 550 today. Little did I know that would not fit in an old cradle so I have to order one but that is $8.99 and I can switch the ball out on the back from the old cradle. I still have a brand new tech mount in the box. I took one look at that after I got it and knew I would only be able to mount one gadget and switching things out would not be easy. I think the whole setup with ram for a gps will set you back $30-40. I put links to everything You would need except the cradle.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-motorcycle-handlebar-clamp-ram-b-367u.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-short-arm-b-socket-ram-b-201u-a.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-diamond-plate-with-1-inch-ball-ram-b-238u.html

Back