• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1800cc cruiser in the works for 2020?

... or a Subaru

The new 2020 Subaru will be a smaller turbo charged engine. They will do away with both the 3.6l and the 2.5l for a smaller engine. Meanwhile BMW seems determined to make the engines larger for an aging population of buyers.

Why pushrods? Because a 1800cc twin would explode if it revved fast?

The ZL1 and Z-28 camaros rev fairly well. So does the Corvette. Just saying. Which one would be cheaper to own for 10 years...The shiftcam or the 1800? My bet would be the latter. While the high tech stuff is cool and works well, I can see simplicity being attractive too.

"Timo Resch, BMW Motorrad’s VP of Sales and Marketing, says we’ll see more of a “direction in a couple of weeks,” which another exec let slide means the Villa d’ Este Bike Show, on the shores of Lake Como, schedjed this year for May 24-26 (and conveniently enough, sponsored by BMW). Even crazier, Timo says there will be a “serial bike” by 2020, which I believe is German for a production model. Say, that’s only nine months from now."

See it here: https://www.motorcycle.com/features/bmws-big-boxer-is-on-the-way.html

Cool

I saw the Zon at Mama Tried, cool engine, but bike was not for me.

American cruiser riders want displacement!

At the time the R1200C was the largest BMW Boxer, right?

A fundamental of a cruiser is a low seat and feet forward riding position, right where those 900cc cylinders would be.

I'm curious what they are going to make.

a parallel twin with a weird firing order to mimic a V-twin, like the Thruxton, would be a good idea, but their 850 is not going to cut it as a full size cruiser for the American crowd.

My guess it will be a mid control bike, with looks like the Diaval or perhaps the HD FXDR, sorta a drag bike, lots of grunt, stoplight to stoplight.

The FXDX is selling like crap and I do not think the Diaval is much better. The last VMax was a brute, but almost no one bought them.

I for one think they could have a retro bike with the 850 engine. Sort of a "RNineT light", slotted under the price of the Pure. Give it a black tank and white pinstripes.

No. The intake and exhaust have one pushrod each. The rockers are Y shaped to share one pushrod.

I am on cold medication..so a bit foggy...however

I am fairly certain there are four, each adjuster sits at end of pushrods. when you adjust valves, you are changing clearance between the pushrods and the adjusters.

11 31 7 688 631 VALVE PUSHROD - D=10 0.03 4

B0000237.png

The picture only shows one for clarity, but quantity is 4

I am on cold medication..so a bit foggy...however

I am fairly certain there are four, each adjuster sits at end of pushrods. when you adjust valves, you are changing clearance between the pushrods and the adjusters.

11 31 7 688 631 VALVE PUSHROD - D=10 0.03 4

View attachment 73713

The picture only shows one for clarity, but quantity is 4

Only two. you can see from a picture in our own tech library. Two pushrods per head.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=17523&stc=1&d=1241117355

The new 2020 Subaru will be a smaller turbo charged engine. They will do away with both the 3.6l and the 2.5l for a smaller engine. Meanwhile BMW seems determined to make the engines larger for an aging population of buyers.
BMW is making their car engines smaller too, at least to the extent that the last 2 digits of the model imply a larger engine than is actually installed. The 530 is not a 3.0 liter engine like you'd think, it's a turbo 2.0 inline four. 540 is a turbo 3.0 inline six, 550 is a turbo 4.4 V-8

BMW is making their car engines smaller too, at least to the extent that the last 2 digits of the model imply a larger engine than is actually installed. The 530 is not a 3.0 liter engine like you'd think, it's a turbo 2.0 inline four. 540 is a turbo 3.0 inline six, 550 is a turbo 4.4 V-8

Even a fullsize chevy half ton can be had with a 4cyl turbo.

Once upon a time, forced induction (supercharged or turbocharged) was considered equivalent to a displacement increase factor of 1.4. In the 1980s there was a BMW turbo car named to correspond with this ... 745 ... so 3.2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_7_Series_(E23)

Why pushrods? Because a 1800cc twin would explode if it revved fast?

Pushrod heads are much more compact than similar displacement overhead camshaft configuration.
My guess is that with 900cc on each side, this engine equipped with DOHC heads would be too wide to allow sufficient cornering clearance, unless they mount it so high in the frame that it would negatively impact the center of gravity.

62B00265-52ED-4654-99E0-745EE83DB2D9.jpeg
The cam was moved from above to below the crankshaft on the boxers since the /5. It seems to me that having the cam back on top and the bike itself is an exercise in styling.
Bill

Last edited:
Back