• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike Advice

I currently own an '09 R1200GSA and a '96 R1200GS, both of which have been and are excellent bikes. So much so that I sold off my Harley and my Triumph some years back and focused purely on these two bikes.

Both still give me a charge to ride and even though I do not ride the '96 as much as I once did, every time I get it out it puts a smile on my face. Additionally, to make them a bit different rides I converted the '96 about a year ago to what I call a GSR. I adapted an 1100R gauge pack onto it, removed all the front faring work, moved the oil cooler down (aka Garage Unit style) and mounted a nice billet LED headlight. I updated the turn signals to LED and the bike is what I like to call a man sized RnineT (I am 6'6" with a 38" inseam, the RnineT's are like mini-bikes to me).

Anyhow, I have been in the throws of either selling the '96 or swapping both for a new R1200GSA. However, every time I think I want to I just find I like these better. Have even toyed with getting another Harley. But these fit me well and have been hassle/problem free for the most part. I did buy both of them used and have probably $16k invested in both bikes.

The '09 is set up for me as well as a taller rider with seat change, Rock Risers and such.

Anyhow, I wanted to get some advice and see what you guys think. Keep, sell, swap?

I know, ultimately, this is a decision only I can make. But I always ask for learned advice when I can. This weekend (the 19th) is my 57th birthday. So I figure it is time to make a decision.

Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum Rod. Sorry I can't help you with any advice on your questions: I am only about half your size and my wants/needs are so different as to be irrelevant. But someone will come along pretty quickly with some advice. Just remember: free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Good luck.

My 2000 R1100RS is still my bike after nine years and 40K miles because it fits me as is. I have done some convenience farkles for power in the tank bag, etc., but the bike fits me, makes my back feel good, and runs well. If it doesn't fit you, find a different one. My $0.02.

Just sounds to moi that you want a New Bike. If U spent time & $ setting up both older bikes, THEN they're ready to go. Just get up and Go!

U don't need a new bike To Go.... Just pick a Destination for Pete's Sake. Been to the Arctic Circle? Been to the Copper Canyon? So many places -- So little time... And that's on Your Own Beemers! Been overseas? There's some FUN riding there TOO! -- GO!

Here's a shot from an unexpected rendezvous at a Fabulous Winery in Corsica! - Way, way too complicated to describe.

That's a Cork Tree that's been recently harvested, beside My Beloved... :thumb

HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

cork-tree.jpeg

Just sounds to moi that you want a New Bike. If U spent time & $ setting up both older bikes, THEN they're ready to go. Just get up and Go!

U don't need a new bike To Go.... Just pick a Destination for Pete's Sake. Been to the Arctic Circle? Been to the Copper Canyon? So many places -- So little time... And that's on Your Own Beemers! Been overseas? There's some FUN riding there TOO! -- GO!

Here's a shot from an unexpected rendezvous at a Fabulous Winery in Corsica! - Way, way too complicated to describe.

That's a Cork Tree that's been recently harvested, beside My Beloved... :thumb

HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

View attachment 74022

Point well made. And I have not been going much for quite some time. I have allowed work to overwhelm my life and, as my good friend always tells me, I have no boundaries. I let work suck up ever moment of my life and I am probably just trying to put a new toy in place of the experience of not getting to ride.

Thanks for the reality check.

Both bikes are beautiful.

You may just be in that place in your life where you WANT something new. It's perfectly fine to WANT and not NEED it. It's fine to act on that, as well.

What would happen if you kept the 2009 and sold/traded the 1996 for something different? I've only been a BMW owner for about 4 days, now, but I speak from 30+ years of riding and ownership. There is something to be said for having more than one bike, ESPECIALLY when they are markedly different from each other.

(If I added another bike right now, I'd look HARD at something really different, like a Zero FXS. But I'm not 6'8" tall.)

Good luck and happy shopping, if you go that direction!

Both bikes are beautiful.

You may just be in that place in your life where you WANT something new. It's perfectly fine to WANT and not NEED it. It's fine to act on that, as well.

What would happen if you kept the 2009 and sold/traded the 1996 for something different? I've only been a BMW owner for about 4 days, now, but I speak from 30+ years of riding and ownership. There is something to be said for having more than one bike, ESPECIALLY when they are markedly different from each other.

(If I added another bike right now, I'd look HARD at something really different, like a Zero FXS. But I'm not 6'8" tall.)

Good luck and happy shopping, if you go that direction!

Yea my height and inseam really limit what I ride. Essentially it has to either be as tall as something like a GS or stretched out like a bagger. However, as I get older and now have a degenerative lower back problem (not bad now, but I am protecting it), the baggers tend to put a lot more pressure on my lower back. Especially if I put road pegs on it to stretch out. This, of course puts a strain on my lower back.

The GS position is typically better as I am more upright and I can move about more.

That last is probably the answer to my question. Keeping something that allows me this upright riding position will be better on my back long term. And you are correct, it is nice having two bikes in the garage. For those few times I have one down for service and an emergency ride situation presents itself! :)

Back