• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

‘04 R1150R - Gas Mileage, What to Expect

jbtex

I’ve had my R1150R now for a month and am curious what gas mileage I should expect on average. Since there is no fuel gauge, I haven’t taken a chance on running the tank down to the low fuel light to see at what level it would come on.

So, two questions:

What mileage are you guys getting?
How much fuel should be left in the tank when the light comes on?

I’ve had my R1150R now for a month and am curious what gas mileage I should expect on average. Since there is no fuel gauge, I haven’t taken a chance on running the tank down to the low fuel light to see at what level it would come on.

So, two questions:

What mileage are you guys getting?
How much fuel should be left in the tank when the light comes on?

I usually got about 42 mpg and had about 1 gallon left when the light came on.

H's '02 1150R averages 42 on 65mph roads, typically will run to 225 miles in spite of when the light comes on. Sometimes it's early, sometimes not soon enough. Have been 240+miles at altitude, have not made 220 when in 75mph zones.

5.5 is the capacity...when filled just under the oval opening. Depends on when you notice the light as far as how much you have:whistle
Our 11S has a tiny yellow dot for a fuel warning...usually see it in a shady spot and panica

Hard to quantify without knowing your fuel capacity.

Excellent point! The specs sheet lists the RS with a 22 liters tank, or 5.8 US gallons. Reserve is 4 liters. I have filled it with 21 liters on a few occasions. The warning lamp lights at 17 liters.
I have been using the Fuelly website for the last 83k miles. The bike has averaged 46.7 mpg (US Gallons) during that time.

On my 1100S, I once got approximately 56 mpg (US) after passing on the opportunity to gas up somewhere in Montana saying "I'll stop at the next gas station" - which almost never showed up. As Henzilla said, I noticed the fuel light was on while going through an underpass and I immediately panicked - dialing the speed down to 50 mph, suddenly finding religion, praying to the gas gods and promising to never again pass a gas station while on tour. About 45 minutes later there appears a gas station. I'm saved! My buddy with the GSA who I was travelling with thought it was hilarious - told me he would have left me at the side of the road if I had run out of fuel just to teach me a lesson. Naturally, I learned nothing from the experience and have put myself the same situation at least once a year since that trip to Billings for the MOA Rally.

And just so you know, as of a month ago, there are no gas stations on Hwy 96 between Willow Creek and Hornbrook, California. Don't ask me how I know. :laugh

Last edited:
... experience and have run into the same situation at least once a year since that trip to Billings for the MOA Rally.

And just so you know, as of a month ago, there are no gas stations on Hwy 96 between Willow Creek and Hornbrook, California. Don't ask me how I know. :laugh

And that is the reason why I put a Wolfman 1 liter fuel bottle on my Christmas wishlist. Might not buy me that much more mileage, but it might get me closer to a gas station than before. :)

2002 R1150R Mileage

I just acquired my 2002 R1150R bike a couple of weeks ago. The low fuel light came on at around 140 miles, and at 154.5 miles, I found a station and refueled. I put in 3.877 gallons of premium gas which calculated out to be 39.85 MPG.
My 2002 K1200LTE on the other hand is getting somewhere between 44-46 MPH according to the onboard computer

Back