• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Audio distortion

strataj

I've had a hard wire set up since I got my bike new, but now at speed above 4 to 4.5K it distorts. It sounds fine at lower speeds/rpm but when I hit 4-4.5k the audio sounds bad. This isn't wind noise or the volume is up too high. Any idea's? It's a 14 R1200RT

Jay

Last edited:
Have you had your bikes software updated lately?

The reason I ask is mine was recently updated and I got big noise now on my Sena SMH10B. Thing is I am not sure if it is the update to the bike for sure, but Sena to Sena is crystal clear on intercom. As soon as I go over to my memory stick and Bluetooth of the bike I got static/noise.

I have noticed this since my bike was updated a week or two ago for the first time since 2015.

Nope, no update for at least a year and half when the dealership replace my failing battery. My GS-911 shows no audio faults. I wonder if you're having the same issue as me? It's also present in the bike speakers, strange part it's only when I get to 4-4.5k up, bike rolling or stopped.

Jay

Well I thought I had this beat but no not to be.

Went out yesterday and for the first few hours it was clear. Then a stop for lunch and it went to static again.

I did restore the firmware to the Sena SHM10 that worked before and all seemed well.

So I realized I went into breakfast and left it on. I also went into lunch and left it on. So the logic to me is the battery in the Sena may be toast and once it gets weak it starts with the static.

Did a search and found a guy who replaced the Sena battery and so I have ordered one to see. Amazon has one for 11.98 and it will be here Wednesday.

I will install and charge it and see if that is the issue. I had bought a dual pack and since they both do it it may be after 7 or 8 years they need a new battery?

If not then time to try a new unit,and if there is static I would think it points to the bike and maybe the update I got a few weeks ago.

I did check with the GS-911 and no codes in the bike so again I will see what is what after battery replacement.

Anyone else ever have static issues with Bluetooth on a RT?

You can test the bike by listening to the bikes speakers. I assume you wear a full face helmet so the test won't be easy. My distortion I can hear in the speakers while stopped with revs up like stated above.

It could be the batteries in your Sena, in the past I used a Mix It, when the battery in it got low it let me know with static :)

Good luck

Jay

I got my problem worked out. I learned a while ago go back to the last thing you did. I added a new audio product it turned out to be defective the vendor was great to work with. All good!

Jay

Back