• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Utah to rally route options

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
If you found yourself in Utah, say at the Red Rock Rendezvous in Panguich, and wanted to take a scenic route north to the MOA Rally in Great Falls with a timeline of just four days, which of these options would hold the most appeal to someone who prefers scenery over crowds...and travels with a dog?

Option A: Up to the Sawtooth Range, then hook around to the west end of Lolo Pass and over
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 6.02.19 PM.png

Option B: up to the Sawtooth Range, then follow the Salmon River to Missoula and on to Great Falls
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 6.05.17 PM.png

Leaving the rally we'd have all the time in the world so would meander through the Bighorns, Black Hills, Cache de Poudre, Million Dollar Highway, etc.

Pete

If you've never traveled the Lolo Pass Route (Option A)... that's your ticket!

Longer and more seat time, but the payback for the extra 200mi over 3.5 or 4 days is terrific.

Option A would be my choice, just be aware that in a sidecar rig you’re in for a workout on Hwy 12 along the Lochsa River. Very much worth it, tho!

Best,
DeVern

Option A would be my choice, just be aware that in a sidecar rig you’re in for a workout on Hwy 12 along the Lochsa River. Very much worth it, tho!

Best,
DeVern

I rode it east to west in 2013 with Barley on the way to Salem, but it was chip seal construction nearly all the way. We spent a lot of time playing in the river that day! The Salmon River route would be a totally new route for us, and I know squat about it so figured I’d ask.

And you’re right. I was very glad that day that three years of sidecar travel had bulked up my shoulders!

Pete and Glenlivet

I rode it east to west in 2013 with Barley on the way to Salem, but it was chip seal construction nearly all the way. We spent a lot of time playing in the river that day! The Salmon River route would be a totally new route for us, and I know squat about it so figured I’d ask.

And you’re right. I was very glad that day that three years of sidecar travel had bulked up my shoulders!

Pete and Glenlivet

The Salmon River route is a great ride also; Chief Joseph Pass will give you a short workout but there are many places along the river to stop and play. Highway 200 is a nice ride as well, with some interesting stops along the way. Note that the RRR rally in Panguitch is still under discussion and not a sure occurrence yet, so keep an eye on the website.

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
Idaho Rider

If you have never ridden either route, I would ride option "B", totally amazing roads and some of the best scenery in Idaho. You will go over a couple of passes with lots of switch back and great views. You will also have less traffic and road construction to deal with. Highway 55 is having some major road work done north of Boise that will go on through the summer. I have ridden both route a number of time and will be doing it again for this rally, neither will disappoint. See you at the Rally!

:wave

Back