• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Charcoal canister removed off 2001 R1100RL

eleven

I removed the charcoal canister from my 2001 R1100 RL based on guidance from a Chris Harris video. Now when it’s hot outside and usually when my bike is parked in direct sunlight the vent hose I’ve ran to the rear of the right foot peg, along side of the drain hose, leaks/drips gas (condensation). Anyone else experienced this problem and should I reinstall the canister.

Happens all the time? Or only with a full tank of gas?

With a full tank, especially in the sun, the gasoline expands and could be rising to the vent and leaking.

Most of time, could be that the vent hoses (there are two) running inside the tank are cracked and leaking. Have you ever replaced the in-tank drain/vent hoses? The canister was designed to capture gas fumes, not gas in liquid form. If liquid gas flows into the charcoal canister, the charcoal will soak it up and clump together. Charcoal will flow into the fuel tank. Don't reconnect the canister to fix this problem - it won't fix it, just cover it up and make new problems.

One of the threads in the Similar Threads pane below mentions the same situation. Worth a read.

Happens all the time even when tank isn’t full. I replaced the entire fuel delivery system several months ago after the bike sat in a garage with gas in the tank for 12 years. Pump, hoses, clamps filter, flange, distributor and even the regulator is all new. Also relined the tank with Red Koat after removing the old peeling liner, used vinegar. I have 900 miles on it since the fix. The PO put about 5k miles on it then let it sit.

Last edited:
Back