• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dynamic Brake Light Delete

shalperin

I saw this on my hang tag and was a little miffed. I wear high viz pjs to bed.

Doing a little research, I think it's because the flashing brake light isn't legal in the US? The assessment I read said that the US DOT goes to extremes to differentiate authority bikes from civilians.

Could be wrong though.

BMW had to recall quite few bikes last year that came to the U.S. with the Dynamic Brake activated.
https://bmw.oemdtc.com/733/brake-lights-flash-during-braking-fmvss-108-2019-2020-bmw-motorcycles

The flashing does violate federal law requiring that stop lamps be steady burning. I think (could be wrong) that the BMW's version flashes throughout an emergency stop.

Aftermarket controllers like the Skene P3 sort of sidestep this by (optionally) flashing a limited number of times and then going steady. Meanwhile the primary stop lamp is still burning steadily.

Consumers can also get away with modifications that manufacturers and dealers cannot.

The rules apply not just to bike manufacturers, but also to manufacturers, importers, retailers and repair shops that make, sell or install non-compliant parts. An aux brake light like Skene's is still a brake light and needs to comply. Those items are still on the market because the Feds haven't the time or inclination to go after small fish.

The regs on brake flashers vary state-by-state, so the DOT kind of keeps a "neutral" stance on what it allows as std equipment.

Last I paid attention, CA had a "three-blink" limit on the brake light, but that may be out of date or incorrect.

Ohio's law states that stop lights shall emit a steady light.

My add-on brake light modulator blinks fast for 1/2 second, slower for another 1 second, then steady on. I've ridden and used my brakes directly in front of police cars and none have ever bothered me.

When I lived in Ohio (moved to NC about 4.5 years ago) I had the flashing LED rear brake lights. These were not legal according to the Ohio Revised Code.

I had access to the Ohio State University's on-line library and was able to find some technical reports of research done regarding flashing LED brake lights and rear driver reaction times. The research showed that flashing LED brake lights decreased rear driver reaction time leading to quicker stopping. Flashing one's incandescent brake lights as advocated by the RideOhio (Ohio DMV Motorcycle Safety Office) literature actually increased the reaction times as the incandescent lamps didn't reach full illumination under some rapid pulsations. I called the RideOhio office and was eventually directed to their technical advisor.

The technical advisor was an Ohio Highway Patrolman that rode motorcycles. I sent him the technical papers and discussed the issue with him. His conclusion was that no police officer would issue a citation for having rear flashing brake lights as long as the lights became continuously illuminated after a few seconds. I took note of his name and our conversation and continued to use my flashing LED brake lights. Since moving to NC I have added extra LED brake lights that flash continuously while the brake is depressed. These lights are legal in NC. The brake lights are TIR-3 (or T3) red programmable LEDs typically used by law enforcement or emergency vehicles. I have aimed these LEDs so that the light will not shine directly into the eyes of vehicles directly behind me but are quite visible to a vehicle a few hundred yards back. My fear is the distracted driver rear ending me whilst I am stopped.

Examples of the LED lights that I use as supplemental brake lights are linked below -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JJSS4GK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FQDYQXH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQWEBJE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X97TPR1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All those state codes are superseded by the Feds. Imagine if each state set their own requirements for seat belts, air bags, impact protection, brakes, etc. Manufacturers would wind up building 50 different cars, one for each state. Federal preemption is spelled out in 49 USC 30103 (b) (1), quoted here (my underline):

"When a motor vehicle safety standard is in effect under this chapter, a State or a political subdivision of a State may prescribe or continue in effect a standard applicable to the same aspect of performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment only if the standard is identical to the standard prescribed under this chapter.

I HATE the things...and for the same reasons they work so well - they grab my attention. But I always overreact and grab a handful of brakes. When following someone down a winding road who is equipped with a flashing brake light it makes for a jerky ride on my part.

Flashing brake lights, even 2-3 flashes before going steady, certainly get my attention. I think they are a good idea.

I think we'd witness absolute chaos if cars were equipped with flashing brake lights. Just imagine for a moment what driving home from work on your typical big-city expressway would look like. Probably the reason they aren't legal.

I recall some years ago a brainiac legislator thought it would be a good idea to have a rear-mounted yellow light illuminate whenever one took their foot off the gas. Fortunately the idea didn't get beyond the dumb idea phase.

I think we'd witness absolute chaos if cars were equipped with flashing brake lights. Just imagine for a moment what driving home from work on your typical big-city expressway would look like. Probably the reason they aren't legal.

Flashing continuously, I'd agree with you. Flashing for the first second or so, I think that would probably be okay. IMHO.

Back