• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire plugging kits

AKsuited

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qm6fTWaj3QE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rope plugs have worked well for me and are what I carry with me on the bike.

Harry

That video was great, it was just up in discussion on another forum in the last few days. I have rope and dynamite plugs on the 1100S, all my other bikes are tubes.

Interesting results. I have exclusively used mushroom plugs without an issue. I guess I have been lucky!

When I used the mushroom plugs I cheated and gooped (tech term) the reamed hole with glue before inserting the plugger needle. This got glue on the outside of the plugger but didn't clog up the nose where the plug is inserted. I had decent luck but like old fashioned gummy worms better.

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qm6fTWaj3QE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

Same here!

Stop N Go mushroom plug got me from Mississippi to Maine in 2004, no issues at all. Safety Seal got me home from Illinois in 2013. I carry both. IMOP both are acceptable if I had to carry just one, Safety Seal or similar would be my choice I believe they work better with broken cords than the mushroom plugs, YMMV.

I confess to being a bit paranoid regarding tire punctures on the bike. I do have some Nealy rope plugs as well as a couple of other rope types and even a mushroom type plugger kit. It does seem like a good idea to change out rope plugs from time to time so they don't get too old. I even had a "spear" type plug kit with me the last time I had a puncture and it just didn't work. I was lucky I had a rope plug kit with me and that worked fine.

Harry

Harry

I've been lucky. In 44 years of riding and driving, I have had one flat on my motorcycle and two flats on my car.

But the rope method worked well on my old R100 GS and was installed by the good folks at the EAA in Oshkosh.

But this is what I carry:

On the motorcycle, a Dynaplug Pro in Stainless and a Crank Brothers Power Pump. Both ultra compact and the latter is bullet-proof...
DynaPlug%20Pro.jpg

Power%20Pump.jpg

In the car which does not have a spare or run-flats, a Dynaplug Pro Extreme in Stainless...
i-2rddmXR.jpg

A few years ago my wife picked up a nail in the front tire of her car, right in the edge of the tread. Nobody would fix it. She almost never drives on the highway, 4,000 miles a year in the city. The tire was like new. I shoved a rope pug in it and ran it until the tires all needed replacement, from age! We even took a trip with her car, no issues.

About a year ago, my brother and I and a mutual friend were out on a ride, when our friend's brand new bike picked up a nail in the rear tire.
Our buddy used the sticky rope and couldn't make it work, so my brother broke out the mushroom plug kit and fixed the flat tire.
David rode with the mushroom plug until the tire was worn out. Never an issue. I guess each system has it's pro's and con's, so IMHO it is best to carry a few options since they all take up very little space on the bike..FWIW, I have the Dynaplug, Mushroom kit and the sticky rope on my bike....YMMV

I've used the mushroom plugs a couple of times and had no problems. I rode 2-3,000 kms on the repair with no air loss and no trouble. I think the mushroom plugs may be a problem off road where the tire takes more pounding that could break the plug's seal. I think that was mentioned in the video.

My record with the Safety Seal is 5 crammed in the hole- Case 580 backhoe tire. Lasted for the life of the tire.
OM

I carry Nealy worms since someone suggested them years ago. Researching them, I bought several tubes for the cages and motors.

I've used the mushroom plugs on several occaisions with good results. I haven't had one fail, and have run the tires until they were due for replacement. I carry kits on three of my bikes currently.

Not a valid test

I have tried and tried to appreciate Ryan FNine and I still find him self-important, condescending, and biased much of the time. But worse, I don't think his test criteria in this case is valid. Let's break this down.

1. Drilling a hole into a tire is not a valid way to create a tire puncture. On occasion you will get a clean puncture like that from a nail that went in at a perfect 90 degrees to the tread, but most punctures the hole is a ragged mess because of the way the nail, piece of wire, glass, ragged metal, etc. went into and came out of the tire. So, he should have tested ragged holes with each of the plug kits and done so with a mounted tire he could inflate to check for air retention. Just inserting a plug/patch doesn't mean it's going to hold air.

2. Pressing into the tire plug with a rod bears no analog to riding a plugged tire on the highway. In fact, as we all know, the centrifugal force of the tire will try to expel tire plugs so he should have figured out how to spin the tire while the tire was deforming under load just as it will be when being ridden. I see no validity in the "push" test he did.

3. He criticizes the mushroom plugger because in his opinion it's overly complicated and over priced - which is personal bias and has nothing to do with the performance of the product.

4. At the end he makes a statement that sounds like he will run a punctured tire (bike or car) with a rope plug until it wears out, which is something I wouldn't do or recommend, as it is in fact dangerous.

I have used both the rope and mushroom pluggers and found one is better than the other for a given situation. I've use the glue from the rope pluggers on the mushroom plug at times to fix a hole nothing else would - which is why I carry both types of pluggers. In the end, it's your bike and your choice. :thumb

Back