• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ultrasonic error

RANBUSH

Ran Bush
I messed up and left a CV carb in the ultrasonic over night. Now the carb body is a dark gray color. Any way to clean it up?

TIA.

You could try some polishing cremes like Simichrome or Blue Magic Metal Polish Creme. Beyond that, it might need something like vapor blasting to get the shine back.

Does carb cleaner have any effect?

Thanks for the thought, I have been reading that "Aircraft Simple Green" may work, but I haven't tried it. Also a 10:1 solution of water and S100 may work, but it may be too late for either of those. I don't have any carb cleaner on hand, but I may go buy some.

I messed up and left a CV carb in the ultrasonic over night. Now the carb body is a dark gray color. Any way to clean it up?

TIA.

What solution was being used in the ultrasonic cleaner? This issue sounds more like a chemical response than an ultrasonic response.

Best,

DeVern

Another question; there's a lot of chatter on the web about using Simple Green or Dawn soap and water to clean CV carbs, but I saw very little advice about what ratio of Simple Green or Dawn to use; a few drops? Half a bottle?

I used about four tablespoons of Dawn in a three quart ultrasonic tank, ran it for 4-5 30 minute cycles, and it made a soapy solution and cleaned the carb pretty well. The solution turned black on the first couple of cycles, anyway. My mistake was leaving the carb in the tank overnight.

I'm blaming the beer.

I'd steer clear of Simple Green. I'm using a 6:1 ratio of Water:Simple Green to clean parts for mechanical clocks I work on. The steel parts can end up looking a little gray/dull if I leave them in too long. It works OK on the brass parts. But I don't think SG is your answer.

You could try WD40 and some elbow grease as well. Try a few spots with something and see how it goes. Maybe some Nevr Dull wadding.

Another question; there's a lot of chatter on the web about using Simple Green or Dawn soap and water to clean CV carbs, but I saw very little advice about what ratio of Simple Green or Dawn to use; a few drops? Half a bottle?

I used about four tablespoons of Dawn in a three quart ultrasonic tank, ran it for 4-5 30 minute cycles, and it made a soapy solution and cleaned the carb pretty well. The solution turned black on the first couple of cycles, anyway. My mistake was leaving the carb in the tank overnight.

I'm blaming the beer.

Dawn and water have always worked well for me. I use a more diluted solution; just enough to clean the parts but not produce a lot of sudsing, followed by a thorough hot water rinse. I think you are correct- the overnight soak in what was likely a base solution has induced a chemical reaction with the metal. I doubt that carb cleaner or any other cleaning product is likely to remove the coloration. Your best bet may be vapor honing or possibly a lot of hand work with a metal cleaning/polishing product like Brasso.

Good luck, and I agree that the beer had a huge hand in this!

Best,
DeVern

... followed by a thorough hot water rinse. .. the overnight soak has induced a chemical reaction with the metal.

Good luck, and I agree that the beer had a huge hand in this!

DeVern

Thanks DeVern - I'll remember the thorough rinse next time too. I tried a few products on the back side of one carb today, WD40 w/ 320 grit sandpaper, a Dremel plastic wire brush with jewelers rouge, Autosol aluminum polish (that came highly recommended and costs $$$ too) and nothing changed much.

I believe I have invented an impervious coating that can be used on the Tesla Space X Shuttle to prevent any damage upon re-entry, assuming they use aluminum nose cone tiles.

There's a vapor hone outfit sorta near me, and I will be giving them a call tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

I have used Aluminum Brightener from Napa on the engine case, hubs, forks, etc with good results (all exterior). It comes in a spray bottle. You spray it, brush it and when it foams you rinse it thoroughly. Directions are on the bottle. I would use gloves and in a ventilated area.

Napa Part number is MAC 1458.

Back