• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Announcing BMW MOA 2021 Grand Coddiwomple!

You think you have it bad? Just have a look at how far away Newfoundland is from anywhere. Getting the platinum will take way more miles than anyone in the lower 48 so suck it up!:ha

You think you have it bad? Just have a look at how far away Newfoundland is from anywhere. Getting the platinum will take way more miles than anyone in the lower 48 so suck it up!:ha

I think we'll have to add a Trash Talkin' category for next year. :brow

I successfully entered 3 times before I came to the forum to find out about the screen extension - SORRY! I hope the contest managers are screening to remove duplicates!

We’re excited to be in receipt of Flags 10 & 12 as of 18Feb for Team HSV!
I can see that said ‘flag’ might very easily get blown away whilst fiddling in one’s tankbag at 75mph.
Players Beware! We’re also gonna do the Iron Butt National Parks Tour; more competitive fun along the way. :nod
See y’all in Montana, if not sooner... :laugh
Ciao!
HSV-Phil und HSV-Karen
:thumb

We’re excited to be in receipt of Flags 10 & 12 as of 18Feb for Team HSV!
I can see that said ‘flag’ might very easily get blown away whilst fiddling in one’s tankbag at 75mph.
Players Beware! We’re also gonna do the Iron Butt National Parks Tour; more competitive fun along the way. :nod
See y’all in Montana, if not sooner... :laugh
Ciao!
HSV-Phil und HSV-Karen
:thumb

Good luck! And, keep your flags safe - you really don't want to loose them. :nono

Got mine yesterday.

I'm planning on riding the shortest Coddiwomple possible. If I can find all towns inside my county, I'm on it! Living in CA, and working... I'll never get to enough states to meet that challenge, so I'm doing the opposite.

Woot!

Question about places

Since the FAQ page isn't up yet and I'm an impatient person, I'll ask here: The rules imply but do not explicitly state that "place" is defined as "a city". So what exactly is a "place". Is a township a place? Is a county a place?

Since the FAQ page isn't up yet and I'm an impatient person, I'll ask here: The rules imply but do not explicitly state that "place" is defined as "a city". So what exactly is a "place". Is a township a place? Is a county a place?

The FAQs are in process and the first version should be up early next week. However, in addition to your question about place names we have received the same question once by email. The definition is under Rule #5 "Place Names", which I'm posting that below. It would be very helpful if you were to look at this again (I'm assuming you have already) and let me know what is missing from that definition which we can add to the FAQs and future versions of the rules, as the concept of "place name" is a key part of an event like this. Thanks!

5. Place Names
a. A place name is an official identifier such as:​
i. A Post Office (with city name)
ii. A road sign of a city’s name (ex: city limit sign)
iii. A State, local or Federal highway sign
iv. A historical marker
v. A point-of-interest marker​
b. Any such sign, plaque, or other identifier must be a national, state, provincial, or other government marker – not from a private party, business, or organization.​

My biggest question has to do with the word "city" in a.ii. Does "city" really mean only a city? Or does it have a broader meaning to also include village, township, or county, state, province, etc? Would a road sign welcoming drivers to Springfield Township meet the requirement of a.ii?

If I'm overthinking this and you really do mean it exactly as you've written it, then just tell me to go back and re-read the part where you stated that "Reading comprehension matters." :)

My biggest question has to do with the word "city" in a.ii. Does "city" really mean only a city? Or does it have a broader meaning to also include village, township, or county, state, province, etc? Would a road sign welcoming drivers to Springfield Township meet the requirement of a.ii?

If I'm overthinking this and you really do mean it exactly as you've written it, then just tell me to go back and re-read the part where you stated that "Reading comprehension matters." :)

I suspect based on the rules stating a "place" name is any identifier ... ANY identifier. So while they are using the term "city" it can mean ANY place ... i.e. city, town, village, borough, county, etc. That is just my guess but it seems really broad when they say place so long as he sign is an official govt. marker. But that is just my guess.

I suspect based on the rules stating a "place" name is any identifier ... ANY identifier. So while they are using the term "city" it can mean ANY place ... i.e. city, town, village, borough, county, etc. That is just my guess but it seems really broad when they say place so long as he sign is an official govt. marker. But that is just my guess.

Correct! :clap

Your got it - any identifier from some "official" body. If a county somewhere puts up an official sign naming a mud puddle - it counts. The intro to the yet to be published FAQ's says something like don't overthink this because we aren't. But, part of our challenge is to communicate this so every can understand that the rules are there for a reason, but if something is on boarder line but seems well intended, or fulfills the spirit of a Challenge definition, we're not going to bust anyone on a technicality. Thanks -- this is helpful for inclusion in the FAQ's.

Greg, it may be that some confusion creeps in due to the use of the word city in both of the examples cited in i. and ii. Perhaps if it read:
i. . A Post Office (with municipality name)

or perhaps a different example; a county or state park sign

Or perhaps not. In any event I am ready to womple the heck out of all the coddis I can find. :rocker

Thanks to all for putting this together.

ack

Greg, it may be that some confusion creeps in due to the use of the word city in both of the examples cited in i. and ii. Perhaps if it read:
i. . A Post Office (with municipality name)

or perhaps a different example; a county or state park sign

Or perhaps not. In any event I am ready to womple the heck out of all the coddis I can find. :rocker

Thanks to all for putting this together.

ack

Good points. It's funny how you work on the wording of the rules and read it many times to make sure it says what you intend, and you show it to others who have done and run similar events, and yet something is still legitimately not as clear as it should be. :banghead But, we knew all along that this year would involve a lot of useful feedback and "Duh! slap-forehead moments. So far we can address what we've learned with the FAQ's. Enjoy Coddiwomppleing!

Back