• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

9 T's For a Long Haul

dougjordan

I find my 1150gs is getting a little heavy now days,haven't dropped it yet but the day is coming. So maybe time to lighten up some . What about the 9t has anyone used them on longer trips ? Want to stay with the boxer.

Can't answer your specific question but I do have a general comment to make: For the past 20 or so years I have been of the opinion that a rider can tour on anything. It is narrow-minded to believe that you have to have a "touring" motorcycle to tour. I rode in all lower 48 states on a stock Yamaha FZ1 and was as comfortable as I needed. Plus, it was a lot more fun than when I rode the lower 48 on my Honda ST1100 (a purpose-built sport-tourer) and again on my Kawasaki Nomad (a purpose-built cruiser/tourer). I believe the "secret" is to simply decide you want to do it--it is mostly a state of mind.

Over the years I have gotten to know folks who tour cross-country comfortably and happily on 250cc Vespa scooters and Suzuki Hayabusa crotch rockets. As I said, it is just a matter of deciding you want to do it.

Good luck.

Can't answer your specific question but I do have a general comment to make: For the past 20 or so years I have been of the opinion that a rider can tour on anything. It is narrow-minded to believe that you have to have a "touring" motorcycle to tour. I rode in all lower 48 states on a stock Yamaha FZ1 and was as comfortable as I needed. Plus, it was a lot more fun than when I rode the lower 48 on my Honda ST1100 (a purpose-built sport-tourer) and again on my Kawasaki Nomad (a purpose-built cruiser/tourer). I believe the "secret" is to simply decide you want to do it--it is mostly a state of mind.

Over the years I have gotten to know folks who tour cross-country comfortably and happily on 250cc Vespa scooters and Suzuki Hayabusa crotch rockets. As I said, it is just a matter of deciding you want to do it.

Good luck.

Voni and I had a great time riding from New Mexico to Tennessee to Virginia to British Columbia and then to Texas on our G310GSs. I guess that counts as "cross country touring."

What about an R1200R (or 1250)? It can be fitted with hard panniers for touring, is water cooled, and is lighter than a GS.

I have the R9T scrambler. It’s quite comfortable and just rides great. I guess the only issue is that it’s naked. No wind protection but neither does my R1100RL.
I have no hesitations riding either long distance.

I have the R9T scrambler. It’s quite comfortable and just rides great. I guess the only issue is that it’s naked. No wind protection but neither does my R1100RL.
I have no hesitations riding either long distance.

Unfaired is ok,been all over US with a /7. What do you do for your gear(luggage) on the scrambler.

Unfaired is ok,been all over US with a /7. What do you do for your gear(luggage) on the scrambler.

I would also be ok without a fairing but would like to see what's available for R9T panniers.
All I've seen is the soft bag mounted on the non muffler side.

Here's the weight of some of the bikes mentioned.
R9T Scrambler 485 pound
R1200R LC 508 pounds
R1250R LC 527 pounds

What does a R1150GS weigh, 550 pounds?

Here's the weight of some of the bikes mentioned.
R9T Scrambler 485 pound
R1200R LC 508 pounds
R1250R LC 527 pounds

Under 500 pounds has been my standard for several years now. Not a ton of bikes to choose from, but the few that are available under 500 lbs are all fun and nimble and great for touring (right, Paul and/or Voni?).

I have an 18 niner GS. Just broke 20000 in a (18000 in my pocket, 2000 on her when I picked her up) and have used her for touring, inclufin several 2000 mile rides a d d one 3000 plus this October. I made the switch exactly due to the weight requirements and especially the low center of gravity for picking up. I had a600lb plus super Tenere that there was no way I could pick up a more. I also agree with Paul, any bike can be used as a tour bike, but some modifications are necessary, in my opinion,to make the niner road worthy. A windshield Is paramount to navigating t h e winds out west, and ever then it's quite a bit less coverage so if your used to a RTor some other type of luxury bike, it'll take some getting use to. But with that and some Acme Moto hard or Mosko soft panniers, it's a fully capable multi month touring bike.

Attachments

• BDFB87FA-15BF-4F3D-B4B3-DE2DD609FBA7.jpeg
    BDFB87FA-15BF-4F3D-B4B3-DE2DD609FBA7.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 81
I've toured over 54,000 miles on my 2011 R1200R, cousin to the 9T. Handles highway speeds just fine. I've fitted mine with Parabellum fairing to take the wind off my chest and an AirHawk seat cushion to take the load off my ..... well you get the picture. Strap gear to the back and away you go. Hours on end of 80mph interstate to back roads, that engine handled it all with ease.

Back