• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is there a gas station locator map?

popeyebedford

Heading out west in May. With only 200+- miles per tank in my KRS running out of fuel possibility is increased. Is there a map of the USA that shows gas stations? GPS's have them in database, but if I buy a GPS I can't take the trip...

Thanks...Popeye

Perhaps join AAA and then you could get either the free maps or the Tripticks that have all service information en-route anywhere. Most of their info is fairly current too, actually more current than some of the service info in the GPS. If you join at the Plus level you can get tow service for a bike too.

Besides looking at AAA, you can bring a one gallon spare tank with you for those moments you run low. An extra 40 miles of range beats pushing the bike :uhoh.

popeyebedford said:
Heading out west in May. With only 200+- miles per tank in my KRS running out of fuel possibility is increased. Is there a map of the USA that shows gas stations? GPS's have them in database, but if I buy a GPS I can't take the trip...

Thanks...Popeye

Only 200? I'd kill for that. Rule of thumb, never pass a gas station without stopping. I mean when you are in the middle of no where and the next town is 70 miles away, and you are only 100 miles into your tank...stop! I made it cross country with a bike that needed gas at 120 on the tank. Had a few nervous miles when the light had been on to long but never ran out. 200 miles on the tank, no worries!

I can't imagine a map that could be up to date in regards to service stations, it would be obsolete when it hit the press...

No problem....

200 miles is plenty if you use your noodle, as one other mentioned. Your cheap map shows all the towns, so don't leave town without enough to make next one. One thing to beware,however! The really small "black dot" towns on the map, don't always have gas. Especially, places like Nevada,etc..Gas really is not a big issue, even in Nevada so worry less.Happy Trails.

PUDGYPAINTGUY said:
Perhaps join AAA and then you could get either the free maps or the Tripticks that have all service information en-route anywhere. Most of their info is fairly current too, actually more current than some of the service info in the GPS. If you join at the Plus level you can get tow service for a bike too.

And I just heard from a friend that RV Plus is now available nationwide. I've had it for years and it's da bomb.

A good old fashioned map will indicate relative town/city size by differences in the dot,
a rough estimate of the chance of finding services,

A GS guy gave me good advice- my range on the K75S was a solid 220 miles on a full tank
(and I got MUCH better than that out west)

"Don't let your tank go less than half full, start looking to fill at the first station you see after 110 miles"

solid advice

I have been in every state west of the Mississippi River many times over the last thirty years and only ran out of gas once and that was my fault. Back when they had manual reserves, I would wait until I hit reserve and start looking for a gas station ( 1 gallon reserve equals about 40 miles). Imagine the sinking feeling I felt when I went to switch it to reserve and it was already there. I was rescued a short time later by a Beemer ridr who gave me a ride to the next gas station (just over the hill I was on) and back. My last ride west along the Lewis and Clark trail, the furtherest away I was from gas was 70 miles and that was right after I left a town in NOrth Dakota. The sign said next town 70 miles so I turned around and filled up. However, there was a gas station about 35 miles down the road in the middle of nowhere. So don't sweat it, just enjoy the ride.

:type ... In a little piece I was writing... "Dark clouds were beginning to form and we were determined to make it to Billings, Montana by night. I had seen those clouds before in ÔÇÿ98 when it brought golf-ball hail. Fearing that now, we tried to ÔÇÿout runÔÇÖ it. We outran it so well that gas in Gillette, Wyoming was neglected and if it wasnÔÇÖt for the good will of a rancher at Crazy Woman Creek we might have had a bit more to say about desert camping! We made Buffalo, Wyoming just as the rain came down. Safely surrounded by the steaming trays of an all-you-can-eat chicken buffet, we recounted what happened in the last hour. The bike was 2 miles shy of having no fuel when it was 18 miles shy of Buffalo." Old /5 on 2nd reserve and not a ranch in sight on 90 out of Gillette. Even at $5 a gallon that ranch was a most welcome visit. I know so little about the adventures possible in the GPS world but, personally, I like the unpredictable twists and turns of an adventure that is not micro-managed. -Bob

iRene said:
A GS guy gave me good advice- my range on the K75S was a solid 220 miles on a full tank
(and I got MUCH better than that out west)

"Don't let your tank go less than half full, start looking to fill at the first station you see after 110 miles"

Yup and you passed that advice to me...and I listened! ;)

SheRidesABeemer said:
Only 200? I'd kill for that. Rule of thumb, never pass a gas station without stopping. I mean when you are in the middle of no where and the next town is 70 miles away, and you are only 100 miles into your tank...stop! I made it cross country with a bike that needed gas at 120 on the tank. Had a few nervous miles when the light had been on to long but never ran out. 200 miles on the tank, no worries!

I can't imagine a map that could be up to date in regards to service stations, it would be obsolete when it hit the press...

Good advice. I remember once or twice actually when we were counting on a gas station at a certain town and found that it had burned down. So I started to fill up even when the tanks are half full if we were where gas was somewhat scarce.

If you visit a local truck stop, they sell travel guides for truckers that have fuel stops in the entire U.S. This will do the trick for you.

Ride safe!

tourunigo said:
:type ... In a little piece I was writing... "Dark clouds were beginning to form and we were determined to make it to Billings, Montana by night. I had seen those clouds before in ÔÇÿ98 when it brought golf-ball hail. Fearing that now, we tried to ÔÇÿout runÔÇÖ it. We outran it so well that gas in Gillette, Wyoming was neglected and if it wasnÔÇÖt for the good will of a rancher at Crazy Woman Creek we might have had a bit more to say about desert camping! We made Buffalo, Wyoming just as the rain came down. Safely surrounded by the steaming trays of an all-you-can-eat chicken buffet, we recounted what happened in the last hour. The bike was 2 miles shy of having no fuel when it was 18 miles shy of Buffalo." Old /5 on 2nd reserve and not a ranch in sight on 90 out of Gillette. Even at $5 a gallon that ranch was a most welcome visit. I know so little about the adventures possible in the GPS world but, personally, I like the unpredictable twists and turns of an adventure that is not micro-managed. -Bob

Hey, I like that....
It amazes me, how fast ones priorities change...shelter...gas....food.
By the way, will we get to read more about this adventure???

ima4nr said:
In case you travel Interstates ( I hope you don't!!!), there is an excellent book available called the "Exit Authority" It lists distances on each Intst. between exits and all the services available. I found it invaluable on large trips with the car and trailer.

There's another one called The Next Exit. I use that one to plan Iron Butt rides and I need 24 hour info. All services listed by Exit Number.

Back