• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2001 R1100RT warm air duct activation?

karlheinz

Hi all,
just joined the forum and have a question: I am reading in my 2001 R1100 RT rider's manual that there is a way that I can have warm air supplied to the end of the handlebars. The manual explains that I have to adjust a lever that is located in the storage compartment? I looked in the storage compartment (front left of the fairing, under the left handlebar) but I don't see any lever there. Am I looking in the wrong place? Or was this an optional feature that my RT doesn't have? And does the warm air supply really make a difference?
Many thanks for your insights!
Frank

Hi all,
just joined the forum and have a question: I am reading in my 2001 R1100 RT rider's manual that there is a way that I can have warm air supplied to the end of the handlebars. The manual explains that I have to adjust a lever that is located in the storage compartment? I looked in the storage compartment (front left of the fairing, under the left handlebar) but I don't see any lever there. Am I looking in the wrong place? Or was this an optional feature that my RT doesn't have? And does the warm air supply really make a difference?
Many thanks for your insights!
Frank

Frank, welcome and nice bike. The levers are on each side of the bike. Look in the gap between the tank and the dash. They control a flap that opens or closes an air tube. Don’t give it much thought, you won’t feel any difference. It was a nice idea but heated grips and gloves are the way to go.

If you look down the steering stem towards the ducts themselves, you should see a silver lever shaped like an "L" about 1/4" in diameter. That is the levers for the ducts.

I have my Tupperware off so I checked if they still move and they don't and I live where it can get mighty cold when riding.

That should tell you they aren't as great as BMW wants you to think they are and heated grips is the solution to those levers that you can't reach with the Tupperware on.

PM me and I will take a picture for you.

Back