• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Winter Storage + Fuel Stabilizer

I'm lucky that I live near a station that sells 87 and 93 octane ethanol-free gas. Still, I run my lawn equipment dry for the winter and don't fuel my generator until I need it. I screwed up once and left 10% ethanol in its carb once and it wouldn't start when I needed it. Lesson learned.

I run non-ethanol in all my vehicles. Using the Pure-gas app. and website it's not hard to find non-ethanol of 89 or better octane across the country. On my 2017 trip to Salt Lake I think only once did I need to use ethanol tainted gas. Same in 2018 heading for Des Moines and then around Lake Superior. When home both bikes get K100 or Stabil.

Using the Pure-gas app. and website it's not hard to find non-ethanol of 89 or better octane across the country.

Come on down to the Texas Big Bend. From out house Pure-Gas.org shows the nearest non ethanol stations to be in El Paso 273 miles away; or Del Rio 256 miles away; or Odessa 195 miles away. So I don't often just run on down and get some non-ethanol gas. I know! That's my problem. But it is a lot like cell phone coverage. Just because something is where you live or travel don't assume it is everywhere else too, because it isn't.

Come on down to the Texas Big Bend. From out house Pure-Gas.org shows the nearest non ethanol stations to be in El Paso 273 miles away; or Del Rio 256 miles away; or Odessa 195 miles away. So I don't often just run on down and get some non-ethanol gas. I know! That's my problem. But it is a lot like cell phone coverage. Just because something is where you live or travel don't assume it is everywhere else too, because it isn't.

Looks like there are 2 in Crocket TX. Unless I am looking at a different Big Bend TX looks like 20 miles.

Ooops I checked Big Bend TX not Big Bend National Park. Yep ... you are not close. But if traveling that through that area I may have one gas stop with the ethanol stuff. But for the most part the non-ethanol gas is pretty available across the USA.

Looks like there are 2 in Crocket TX. Unless I am looking at a different Big Bend TX looks like 20 miles.

Ooops I checked Big Bend TX not Big Bend National Park. Yep ... you are not close. But if traveling that through that area I may have one gas stop with the ethanol stuff. But for the most part the non-ethanol gas is pretty available across the USA.

Crockett TX = 602 miles. Not really practical.

Coming to Big Bend National Park you can fuel in Midland but with then need to fuel in Alpine. Do a day or two exploring and that is another tank or two, and then refill to leave, either in the Park, Study Butte, or Alpine. Two or three tanks most likely.

But that aside, it is a great place to live and a nice place to visit.

Crockett TX = 602 miles. Not really practical.

Coming to Big Bend National Park you can fuel in Midland but with then need to fuel in Alpine. Do a day or two exploring and that is another tank or two, and then refill to leave, either in the Park, Study Butte, or Alpine. Two or three tanks most likely.

But that aside, it is a great place to live and a nice place to visit.

It's on my list for sure. Had a buddy who lived in Kingwood and then moved to Austin to be close to his grandkids. We had always talked about exploring west Texas, Big Bend and the Texas Hill Country.

The VP racing fuel I mentioned, $11.00/gallon. Good, high octane ethanol free fuel. Still half price of buying by the gallon at a home improvement store.
A lot for day to day use but great for storage.
OM

FWIW Not that I'm a fan of subsiding farmer to grow corn for fuel, I've never had a problem.

Essentially all the stations aron here are 10%

Where I live the only non-ethanol stations are few and far between..the nearest one is a dingy looking, un manned, that I've not see anyone use. The gas there may not have ethanol but looks to marginal for me.

I put up my motor cycle and Z 3 about now...when the first salt hits the road an take them out in spring ..April. Both start up fine with out stabilizer....been doing this for a long time.

I think most premium gas has a fair abmount of cleaners etc in it...so gumming up is pretty much solved...even when sitting for a few months

Catching the paranoia I did put some sea foam in my generator because some of the gas is now 3 years old. PS it started up fine before I put the sea foam in.

No I don't change my brake fluid ever year either

Thank you.

Was sent info on some REAL gas, ethanol free premium unleaded.

Around 25 miles from me.

But my kids and grand kids live down that way so I can incorporate it into a visit with them.

lee

Lots of REAL gas options near Harrisburg ....

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 6.04.42 PM.png

non alcohol gas

If you are getting your gas at an airport and its gas for planes it would most likely be 100LL (low lead) which is not to be used in modern cars. It will plug your cat. It is very difficult to find non alcohol gas at airports ( some planes do use it but since planes do not have cats you can use either). Be careful you get the correct fuel.

Around here, about all we can get is the stuff with corn swill in it. Never had problems with the injected BMW's (oilhead and wethead), just dumped in some Stabil. The carbed stuff (dirt bikes, snowmobile, lawn equipment) works less well. Where I can, I drain out all the gas (where the tanks are plastic and won't rust) then pull the fuel line off and shoot WD 40 into the carb to protect the float needle - had a few of those seize up which I credit to the gas. But I agree with everyone who says avoid the alcohol when it's time to store.

FWIW Not that I'm a fan of subsiding farmer to grow corn for fuel, I've never had a problem.

Essentially all the stations aron here are 10%

Where I live the only non-ethanol stations are few and far between..the nearest one is a dingy looking, un manned, that I've not see anyone use. The gas there may not have ethanol but looks to marginal for me.

I put up my motor cycle and Z 3 about now...when the first salt hits the road an take them out in spring ..April. Both start up fine with out stabilizer....been doing this for a long time.

I think most premium gas has a fair abmount of cleaners etc in it...so gumming up is pretty much solved...even when sitting for a few months

Catching the paranoia I did put some sea foam in my generator because some of the gas is now 3 years old. PS it started up fine before I put the sea foam in.

No I don't change my brake fluid ever year either
Maybe drain the gas from your generator and use it in your car? I don't keep gas in my snowblower over the summer, or in my riding mower over the winter.

But you do whatever makes you happy.

Maybe drain the gas from your generator and use it in your car? I don't keep gas in my snowblower over the summer, or in my riding mower over the winter.

But you do whatever makes you happy.

Yep That is a good idea....I'm just too lazy...and have not had reason to do this extra effort in 20 years. Just another old codge, stuck in his ways.

The pins on a map do not mean crap. Half are not there, and the one I know for sure has only 87. I tried the app and have been to closed and not even there pin points.

Just not interested in 87 anything.

I have been shown there is one about 25-30 miles from me. I will use it when I go visit my kids and grand kids. I get around 42 miles a gallon so by running 60 miles round trip my tank will be down a gallon at least.

With a plastic tank we are looking at running issues from phase separation and nothing more. I just dont see the need to run all over God's creation to get gas with no corn in it at only 87 octane. I have never suffered from phase separation in all the years we have had to run 10% corn. And many of those years I never used Stabil or Startron. I did use SeaFoam or Tectron as cleaners but never used a fuel stabilizer. Here in PA our winters can be very cold and snowy.

Better living through chemistry works.

Again, Ringfree and Startron are your friends.
Tough morning? :wave
OM

Tough morning? :wave
OM
No kidding!

Just my own experience Having ridden all over the United States and using the pure gas app I have found it accurate about 90% of the time. And yes you have to make sure the station you’re headed to has the proper octane rating. I do find the web site better so try to check each morning.

But hey like they say YMMV.

No did not mean it to sound that way.

Just cant see worrying over something like 10% corn.

And yes the app has failed me and I gave up on it, it's data points may be more accurate then when I used it.

And the cost difference here in PA is out of this world.

So thank you for the reminder on the app but again just not interested in 87.

I apologize if it seems I dished the poster of information, just tried it and it never was good for me.

No worries :)

I still run 25 or so things with engines.....the ethanol has been a constant problem. It's not so much the ethanol itself but what it does when it sits a bit. It causes the corrosion of the "pot" metal in the small engines carburetors and even seems to erode the galvanized coating in the metal gas cans.
I mentioned in another thread that I buy 104 octane, non-ethanol specifically for "storing" an engine. I also add StaBil, Techron and if a metal gas tank, Marvell Mystery oil so it can cut down on "flash" rust......the kind you may have seen on the interior of a motorcycle tank.
This is my "concoction" and has been working for me. Most seem to have their favorite "storage" mixture- whatever works.
I do like to pour the racing fuel as it pours like a light oil, not like todays gasoline that pours like water. Even the exhaust aroma is like a trip back in time :gerg
To no carb or injector problems :thumb
Ride safe.
OM

Back