• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pandemic Has Kick-started an Urban Motorcycle Boom. Are Cities Rready?

Seems clear to me: In the (near) future we who are still riding will likely be on electric 2-wheelers.

Particulate Matter (PM) 2.5

I think they were referring to PM 2.5 in the article, long a problem air pollutant of heightened concern due to its small size:
1. Particle Pollution
2. Health Effects of Pariculate Matter

A brief search yielded a couple of peer-reviewed research articles:
1. Human health risk assessment of Tire and Road Wear Particles (TRWP) in air
2. Evaluation of Tire Wear Contribution to PM2.5 in Urban Environments

IMO, the interesting part of our understanding of particulate matter effects is the impact of microplastics to low-income, urban, and ethnic minority populations in and near high traffic areas. In Houston, there is increasing awareness of the correlation between increased health risk and exposure to PM 2.5 associated with major roadways, but it wouldn't be surprising to see similar correlations between chronic microplastic exposure from vehicle-related PM 2.5 in the ambient air in these areas to other end points like cancers and developmental disorders.

I think they were referring to PM 2.5 in the article, long a problem air pollutant of heightened concern due to its small size:
1. Particle Pollution

IMO, the interesting part of our understanding of particulate matter effects is the impact of microplastics to low-income, urban, and ethnic minority populations in and near high traffic areas. In Houston, there is increasing awareness of the correlation between increased health risk and exposure to PM 2.5 associated with major roadways, but it wouldn't be surprising to see similar correlations between chronic microplastic exposure from vehicle-related PM 2.5 in the ambient air in these areas to other end points like cancers and developmental disorders.

Mechanics have been warned for many decades on the dangers of brake dust. Just consider to amount of brake dust generated on a busy urban boulevard with stop lights at every block. Rapid accel, followed by decel. Continuously during day.

Sprawl, without plannning, can easily create these situations.

1. Particle Pollution

Yes, brake dust and micro bits of rubber [ tire wear] left on roadways is what PM 25 is talking about.

Mechanics have been warned for many decades on the dangers of brake dust. Just consider to amount of brake dust generated on a busy urban boulevard with stop lights at every block. Rapid accel, followed by decel. Continuously during day.

Sprawl, without plannning, can easily create these situations.

Absolutely. By coincidence, I am sitting in on a microplastics workshop today and tire wear and microplastics came up as an area of needed research, so no doubt, more data on exposure risk to come.

Yes, brake dust and micro bits of rubber [ tire wear] left on roadways is what PM 25 is talking about.

Yes, you are correct, but I think the article meant to refer to PM 2 point 5, as in 2.5 micrometers or less (not PM 25)- I think that was a misprint on behalf of the article. PM 25 (25 microns) fall in a much larger range of particles that, when inhaled, are filtered out of your sytem before reaching your lungs (and thus your bloodstream) and present far less risk of health affects.

Yes, you are correct, but I think the article meant to refer to PM 2 point 5, as in 2.5 micrometers or less (not PM 25)- I think that was a misprint on behalf of the article. PM 25 (25 microns) fall in a much larger range of particles that, when inhaled, are filtered out of your sytem before reaching your lungs (and thus your bloodstream) and present far less risk of health affects.

Not the first time a journalist blew it by a decimal point.

Absolutely. By coincidence, I am sitting in on a microplastics workshop today and tire wear and microplastics came up as an area of needed research, so no doubt, more data on exposure risk to come.

Perhaps, there's a reason why so many low income children suffer from asthma.....

And remember that brake pads used to contain asbestos. https://asbestosvictimadvice.com/2017/04/garage-mechanics-1970s-brake-pad-asbestos-risk/

I am reminded of "death hill" in northern Kentucky where I-75NB dives down steeply to cross over the Ohio River. Must have been tons of asbestos in that area back in the day.

And the above article points out that some brake pads from China still contain asbestos.

Harry

Read what PM 25 is.
Brake and tire wear left on roadways!
I can't believe this!

To me this kind of measurement is consistent with the measurements done of highway and roadside lead levels which helped make the case for unleaded fuel. All that rubber wearing off of tires doesn't evaporate. :)

To me this kind of measurement is consistent with the measurements done of highway and roadside lead levels which helped make the case for unleaded fuel. All that rubber wearing off of tires doesn't evaporate. :)

No, it doesn't evaporate. But it does become airborne. It also washes off the roadways (and surrounding areas) and into the watershed, where the contaminates dissolve into the water. The particulates that remain continue to get washed downstream and become part of the sediment.

In dryer climates, the particulates spend much more time airborne, until it either settles in various corners or is lifted on the wind to be deposited with rain somewhere else.

No, it doesn't evaporate. But it does become airborne. It also washes off the roadways (and surrounding areas) and into the watershed, where the contaminates dissolve into the water. The particulates that remain continue to get washed downstream and become part of the sediment.

In dryer climates, the particulates spend much more time airborne, until it either settles in various corners or is lifted on the wind to be deposited with rain somewhere else.

Yes, exactly, which is where some of the pollution mentioned the the linked article comes from. Everything has an impact.

Last edited:
And if they didn't? Could you drive on it? Could you ride on it? In Arizona? In Minnesnowta?

I’m pretty sure John was referring to the same thing I was. All those chemicals get into the public water supply real quick and are very difficult to remove. The salinity of water once salting starts is amazing.
OM

Back