• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spoke torque setting

RPGR90s

I have a 1974 R90s that I installed stainless spokes in many, many years ago. Today they look basically like new.

I have a spoke torque wrench but cannot find what the value is.

I'm bored and figured I would put my tool to use in checking that all spokes are within spec. :)

Thank You,

RPG

Spokes

A couple of things on Snowbum's site...but it seems to come down to it's "optional" or until it's uniform...so I don't know what the actual value is:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/section2A.htm

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/lacing-truing-spoked-wheels.pdf

Very good information and much appreciated. Out of the 80 total spokes on my R90s, five were just slightly loose. I went with 60 in. lbs. to tighten the loose ones and all the others were at least at 60 in. lbs. Probably good for another 30 years. :)

I think in the old :gerg days, we used to tap on the spokes with a small metal rod and matched the “tone”.
OM

I may be getting a bit off topic, since I cannot offer any torque value, and my experience with truing spoked wheels was decades ago. But...

Can you really tension used spokes properly with a torque wrench?

I've trued up some bicycle wheels and tightened spokes on a number of motorcycle wheels, tapping the spokes to get a more or less equal tone. In every case, some nipples turned easily, some were harder, some were near impossible, regardless of tension, because there were different amounts of dirt and corrosion on the threads. I don't see how a torque wrench can give good results without threads in like-new condition, which would require removal and cleaning of every spoke, nipple and nipple seat.

I may be getting a bit off topic, since I cannot offer any torque value, and my experience with truing spoked wheels was decades ago. But...

Can you really tension used spokes properly with a torque wrench?

I've trued up some bicycle wheels and tightened spokes on a number of motorcycle wheels, tapping the spokes to get a more or less equal tone. In every case, some nipples turned easily, some were harder, some were near impossible, regardless of tension, because there were different amounts of dirt and corrosion on the threads. I don't see how a torque wrench can give good results without threads in like-new condition, which would require removal and cleaning of every spoke, nipple and nipple seat.

Even with this, there is a possibility that the rim is not "perfect". This would require some spokes to be tighter than others to bring the rim into alignment. If that theory is true then listening to the tone of the spokes is not going to tell you anything.

Hhu?

There is a saying I tell myself when I'm in my garage and bored; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I can't and won't tell you the number of times I have been bored and found myself "improving", "fixing" something only to have things go from good to bad in a hurry.

At that point, when it has gone from good to bad, I can tell you I am no longer bored but at the same time I am not happy either.

Better solution to tweaking your spokes, would be to go for a ride. Sorry, I can't give advice on spokes, I have also found in the past I don't true or do enough spoke work to consider myself competent to mess with them. I have a shop who has that skill. I drink coffee and solve the world's problems while in my case, the work gets done properly.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you don't know what you are doing. I am just offering alternatives. Cheery bye, St.

Back