• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

brake bleeding problems 2000R1100RT

littledog

I finally got time to install speigler brake lines on my 2000 R1100RT. No problems until I tried to bleed the rear system. First I connected my Mighty Vac to the left bleed screw on the ABS modulator(I checked that this is the correct screw for the rear circuit). I could not get the brake fluid to come up in the bleeder tubing more than about 2 inches and did not draw any fluid out of the reservoir. Decided to try the method suggested by Happy Wanderer on another post of pushing fluid up from caliper with a syringe. I had the bleed screw open on the modulator but got no fluid there. Instead I pushed fluid into the reservoir. Checked the brake pedal and it bottoms out. As I understand it, the circuit needs to be bled from the reservoir to the modulator and then from the modulator to the rear caliper or fluid can be pushed up bleeding the lines in the opposite direction. What am I missing?

The rear brake circuit is very difficult to get going once you lose fluid in the lines. Of course, that is exactly what happens when you replace the original hose section. You are correct. The fluid circuit goes all the way from the caliper to the ABS2 then to the master cylinder and reservoir. Because the ABS2 hydro unit is the highest part of the circuit, it is nearly impossible to pump the lever in the usual way to move the fluid through - it just won't move the air out of the way.

Ignore the ABS2 modulator for now. The fluid will pass through it. Make sure that the bleed screw at the caliper isn't a speed bleeder. They are great (my opinion) when bleeding the circuits once they are already filled with fluid. The stop valve in the speed bleeder will prevent you from back filling the circuit from the caliper. You should be able to use a syringe at the caliper bleed screw and push brake fluid all the way up the line into the MC. Once you have done this, then you should be able to bleed the rear circuit the traditional way. Put a clear hose on the bleed screw at the caliper. Open it up enough so that fluid starts to enter the clear hose. Pump the brake pedal and fluid should start moving out of the caliper. If you can get the fluid moving that way, bleed through at least three or four refills of the MC reservoir to make sure any air bubbles are pushed out.

Thanks for the info.I will give it a try. I thought I could push fluid from the caliper to the ABS unit and then from the ABS to the reservoir. It is good to know I can bypass the ABS,

Thanks for the info.I will give it a try. I thought I could push fluid from the caliper to the ABS unit and then from the ABS to the reservoir. It is good to know I can bypass the ABS,

You can push fluid right from the caliper right to the reservoir thru the ABS module (non servo).
I do it every time SS Teflon lines are installed on the rear or the front.
Make sure the brake pedal is at rest to allow flow. If it is the least bit depressed it will block the flow.

Thanks to both of you for your advice. Following the method you described I had no problems bleeding the system, and achieving a good solid pedal. Now on to the front brakes. I assume I can use the same procedure even though there are two calipers instead of one. I believe I have read that I need to start with the left caliper, after removing the calipers, retracting the pistons , and securing them in the retracted position.

Thanks to both of you for your advice. Following the method you described I had no problems bleeding the system, and achieving a good solid pedal. Now on to the front brakes. I assume I can use the same procedure even though there are two calipers instead of one. I believe I have read that I need to start with the left caliper, after removing the calipers, retracting the pistons , and securing them in the retracted position.

You can, but it isn’t really necessary. On the 1100 ABS2 system, the handle bar MC is the highest point. You can literally fill the MC with fluid, then open either one of the caliper bleeder screws and the fluid will make it all the way down there. You can speed it up by pumping the brake lever, never all the way to the grips. Or, you can do the same back fill process.

Back