• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 R1200 GS Adventure brake warning and speedo not working

lknutsen

Hey all,

during the last few days it has been rather hot and I am not sure if that has been part of the problem or not, the breaks works just fine, but the warning light is constant for break failure, and yesterday on an awesome ride on route 250 and 33 in Virginia and WV the speedo started to act up. according to several post on other adventure forums this is happens from time to time with my generation bike. I got a few trips planned and was hoping one of you had the answer to this issue, the lack of speedo want stop me from riding and the breaks seem to work just fine. so any suggestions?

Lars

The brake warning light is probably an indication that the ABS is not operational. If that is the case, then your brakes will function but the ABS will not work. If you have access to a GS911 or MotoScan you can check for fault codes, or you can have a dealer check. You can also check it by locking the rear brake on a gravel road at 20MPH or so. Be careful.

So many times it’s been posted that things go strange when the battery is old. Any chance it’s getting a bit long in the tooth?
Welcome to the forum!
Gary.
I take it you meant brake trouble?

The ABS and speedometer both rely on the rear wheel speed sensor. You might check it and its wiring for proper placement or damage.

Back