• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Vote - tires - 1200R

What issues with Road 5s?
I saw pics of a Road 5 delaminating. Where they abused or was the wrong weight rating mounted? I don't know.
I do know that they're not recommended for the K16. There seems to be a swingarm clearance issue. There might be other problems.

That is why I think it's better to wait.

I saw pics of a Road 5 delaminating. Where they abused or was the wrong weight rating mounted? I don't know.
I do know that they're not recommended for the K16. There seems to be a swingarm clearance issue. There might be other problems.

That is why I think it's better to wait.

All I can find are Pilot Road 3 issues, and Google only locates 5 or 6 of those.

I am on my 5th set of PR 4 GTs on my 2016 RT and get an average of 22000km per rear and about 26000km per front! I think I will stay with PR 4GTs!:ca

I've worn out many sets of PR4s, and ridden them (gently) through frog-drownders and pea-sized hail and trusted them fully. Stick well. Riding Road 5's now only 1000 miles and they're fine too. Did a non-sportbike trackday with them and they never misbehaved. Thought about switching to Conti's but I've always been happy with Michelins, why switch?

I've always been happy with Michelins, why switch?

I agree. Michelins, Dunlop, Conti, Metzler, etc etc are all good tires...

Ride the ones that you like the best, best tread pattern, best in you peer group, best track times, best/worse price, etc

Few of us ride their tires any where near edges of the tire's capability...dual compounds ( I think Dunlop was the first 15 years or so ago) make me feel better.

Tires are just like an oil thread!

now import stuff ....which LED head light retro fit?

All I can find are Pilot Road 3 issues, and Google only locates 5 or 6 of those.
The more I read about the issue with the Road 5 GT and the K1600, it seems the issue is limited to those bikes.
Here is a pic of the letter that is floating around Facebook.

Michelin K1600 letter to dealers.jpg

From what I gather, the tire rubs on the swingarm of all K1600. Michelin doesn't recommend mounting them, use the PR4 GT instead.
IMO The damage to the tire would be consistent with the pic I saw.

No issues with the PR4GTs

I have a '16 RT as well and had major issues w/ the rediculous amount of cupping that happened in under 2K miles on the front tire. I can't believe others tolerate this, and while they are very careful to triple check their tire pressure because of course you can trust your $29 TP gauge over BMW's very sophisticated and reliably temperature-compensated TPMS readout, they have no qualms about following the standard solution to the nonsenical cupping from these expensive PR4GT tires: "Fine, Michelin rep says pump that bad boy up to 40psi (that's ~10% over recommended) and you can retard the rate of cupping". Oh, OK. Great behavior for a costly premium tire. Conti RA3GT: best tire for RTW hands down in all ways. For lighter R bikes the non-GT variant will be awesome...I'm told from one uber agressive R9T rider, and from my former local shop's owner.

I did a little research and decided on the road 5 GT. I COULD have agonized for a lot longer but...well I have the 4 on front and it seemed as good as any other and some felt better than...after all is said and done- they're tires that are appropriate for the bike- not Chinese and probably one among equals...is that sacrilege?

I did a little research and decided on the road 5 GT. I COULD have agonized for a lot longer but...well I have the 4 on front and it seemed as good as any other and some felt better than...after all is said and done- they're tires that are appropriate for the bike- not Chinese and probably one among equals...is that sacrilege?
You are going to love the Road 5s. I'm on a second set on my RT and I intensely disliked previous PR versions. Hopefully Michelin has solved the cupping and lumpy wear patterns the PR 3s and 4s could show and still get good mileage.

Back