• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pirelli Scorpion Sync Tires - DIY

C

ChiTown

*Disclaimer* I am not a professional mechanic, engineer, or scientist. All these views are just my own observations and opinions, and should be taken as such. I am also not a Lawyer capable of writing legal disclaimers :)

After running 2 sets of Conti-Attacks and 2 sets of Metzler Z6's this summer, I've been looking for a new set of tires. Both had good wet traction characteristics, but the Conti's felt much better and more confident in the twisties.
I averaged around 4500 miles on each of the rear's from either set, and 8000-9000 per front. Maybe a little less on the Conti's..... hard to remember exactly.
I found the Z6's to be quite a bit more expensive than other tires without having much more, if any better performance than the Conti's or Pilot Road's I've run in the past. The were a improvement over the Z4's though...

Since I have found myself riding on gravel logging roads, through deserts, rivers, and various other places I shouldn't be riding with street tires, I have been looking for a more Dual Sport type of tire. The problem is the most popular DS tire ( Tourance) doesn't come in the correct size for the R1200R.
Someone on another forum was talking about the Pirelli Scorpion Sync tires being great on their Buell. "SPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR THE NEW GENERATION OF HIGH PERFORMANCE NAKED BIKES, LIGHTWEIGHT CARCASS PERFECTLY MEETS THE NEEDS OF LOW WEIGHT NAKED BIKES". SuperMotard tires. It turns out they do make compatible tires for the 1200R.

I found a set from http://www.americanmototire.com/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d117.html
I bought them for about $255 shipped.
One dealer quoted me $354 plus $110 to mount them.
Since I already started doing my own maintenance this summer, I was also ready to start doing my own tire changes also. I can't stand the thought of paying someone else $100 an hour to do work I am capable of doing.
So I bought a Marc Parnes Balancer, adhesive weights, and a Front Axle Removal Tool.
http://www.marcparnes.com/

I opted to buy the balancer that was a little more $, but the BG12 kit has an extra cone and will double as a Universal balancer. Now I can balance friends wheels too..
It came in the mail 2 days later, very fast shipping.

I tried it out on my old rear tire first, finding out it was 21 grams out of balance. Un-even wearing, or sloppy dealer work?
My new tires came yesterday so I changed and balanced them. Just like I read about the MP balancer, it's very sensitive, and simple to use. I had to close the garage door because the wind was effecting it. I also learned you have to be sure the thumb screws on the cones are opposite each other. Quality stuff, easy to use, and the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

img3164tw9.jpg

img3168bn2.jpg

206960366-L.jpg

img3172dj1.jpg

img3170xn2.jpg

206960383-L.jpg

206960398-L.jpg

After finishing mounting the new Scorpions I was ready to head out and try them out. I made my way out of the city, towards DeKalb, IL.

206960409-L.jpg

The Pirelli's feel real good. After riding with worn out Z6's for the last month, anything new would feel better, but.....
Very good on gravel, much better than any other street tire I've had. Maybe that "aggressive" tread does help.
I also managed to find a road with 2 ( count-em, 2 ) curves that I rode through a few times, increasing speed with each run. I didn't drag any pegs, taking it kind of easy on tires with only 70 miles on them, but I liked what I felt and can't wait to get into some real twisties.

206972570-L.jpg

They feel good on pavement, and are much better on loose stuff than the other tires I had.
How about wet traction? Well, lucky for me ( I guess ) it started raining when I was about 50 miles from home, as forecasted. Not a downpour, but a nice steady rain. Enough that I put on my rain gear.
I generally don't test wet traction with pushing the envolope in the corners, but I did test them by doing some heavy braking, and accelerating tests. It took almost full throttle in 1st gear to break the rear, and I couldn't break loose the rear in second at all.
Braking was also great with the ABS not kicking it until I was really grabbing a handful.

I guess it might sound a little stupid to be talking about trying to beak traction on wet roads or gravel, but my theory is to know how my bike will handle under any circumstance, before that one emergency happens... it has already paid off for me a few times this year.

206960409-L.jpg

While wandering Northern Ill. I ran across a apple orchard and picked up a nice pumpkin, and some apples. Fruits of my labor?

206972592-L.jpg

206960424-L.jpg

206972627-L.jpg

So far so good. I like how they feel, I like how they look, I really like how much they cost.
Could have found the right tire for me and my R1200R. :)
I'll know more after a short trip I'm planning next week, and according to the weather Gods I should be testing them out in plenty of rain....

Syncs

They come as standard equipment on the Buell Ulysses. I have them on mine and I like them a lot.

I like your rim protector -- it looks like a credit card.

I just changed the tires on my wife's and my bike -- both R1200RTs. I used the Marc Parnes Balancer, a set of 8 1/2" tire lever, and homemade rim protectors as well.

I fabricated my own rim protectors out of the side panels of a one gallon plastic jugs. Typically, there are two such panels found on the average one plastic gallon jug. Using two jugs, I fabricated four rim protector. You can use them singly, or overlap them.

I found the commercially available rim protectors were so darn thick they got in the way. Also, if the commerical rim protectors pop off the rim and fall in the tire you are mounting -- you can have a terrible time retrieving them.

You can see these rather effective, homemade rim protectors used in these viedos: dismounting and mounting.

Scorpion Syncs

I got 5500 on the rears, probably could have gone another 500 miles. The front still looks good.

Will have to try the Pirelli Scorpions next!

Nice job there Chitown.

Just changed my rear on the R1200R tonight. Marc Parnes balancer rocks!

1939606507_3ec094bd3d_o.jpg

This old tire (Bridgestone BT014) probably had 500mi left on it, wear bars were almost even w/ tread. I was feeling froggy tonight and long trip this weekend so off it came.
1939606797_e21e829af9_o.jpg

Bridgestone Sport/Touring BTO21
1940448654_e928b3d5db.jpg

Video of tool in action:

Back