• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

03 R1150R How much free play between TRANSMISSION input shaft and output shaft?

wanjman

I recently purchased an 03 R1150R with 27k miles. The owner was told that the splines on the input shaft had stripped. Upon disassembly I found that the shaft was in tact with only a little wear in the middle and the clutch hub had stripped completely. I installed a modified clutch with the longer hub, applied the proper assembly lube on the splines, and at the clutch rod and flex plate contact points. After reassembly I noticed a rattle when the transmission was in neutral with the clutch lever released. It shifted nice, no chatter, no slipping, only the rattle when I stopped and released the clutch lever in neutral. At first I though it was the clutch rod rattling inside the input shaft, but the felt pad was intact and I lubed all contact points, so I pulled the starter, put the transmission in 1st gear, squeezed the clutch lever and put a screwdriver on the clutch disc to see if it would rotate and sure enough I got about 25 degrees of rotation in each direction. I pulled the transmission again and found that the clutch disc hub and input shaft were in perfect condition. When I rotate the input shaft with my fingers, there is about 25 degrees of rotation before the output shaft begins to turn. There is no visible damage to any of the gears, no metal in the oil, there were no noises or clunks when I was driving it, only the rattle when stopped in neutral? I am stumped. Any help here would be appreciated. From what I understand there should be almost no free play between the input shaft and output shaft when the transmission is in gear.

I never tried to measure it but that sounds about right to me. Synch the throttle bodies perfectly and most of the rattle in neutral will go away.

Back