• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Unable to open luggage

ebell

2016 RTW, and like the title says, I have a pannier that won't open.

The key goes in, and it turns the cylinder. The key can depress the cylinder, and the cylinder rotates, but the latch for the pannier doesn't release.

I am able to rotate the key to the release position and the bag can be removed from the bike.

Anyone seen this before, and know of a cheap and quick fix?

I had one that would not lock closed on my 2016 RT! That was after about my first year of ownership! Fixed under warranty! Dealer said BMW was aware of a problem with the mechanism and they thought they pulled them all but a few got through and out on the market! Check with dealer! May still be a recall in effect or maybe a service advisory to replace mechanism!:ca

Spray some light oil or WD40 into the lock barrel? Possibly something is seized or stuck in there.

Tapatalk

Spray some light oil or WD40 into the lock barrel? Possibly something is seized or stuck in there.

I did that last week because the barrel was sticking just a bit. I used a drop of TriFlow. I’m guessing (and hoping) it’s as crustybeemer suggests.

Problem solved, I think

Not a silly question. I don't have central locking.

However, I did remove the offending pannier, located the central locking button, and pushed it in and out a few times while turning the key, and I was able to open the case. I spoke to my local tech, Keith at South Sound Motorcycles, and he suggested I play around with the central locking button as a next step. That solved it, hopefully for good, but I know what to do if it happens again.

Just a follow up, in case (no pun intended) this happens to anyone else.

The side cases on my 2016 RT attach to a black plastic latching mechanism. That black plastic latch mechanism is only held on to the painted side panel of the bike with some clips, inserted into a hole in the side panel. The latch and clips are all one piece, and pop into the side panel... and apparently can easily pop out.

The latching mechanism had popped out of the painted side panel, was still in its assigned hole, but was flopping around a bit, and thus didn’t supply a solid base for the central locking button to contact.

The bike isn’t equipped with central locking, but I’m guessing it’s still necessary for the central locking button to have good purchase on the black plastic insert so the keyed locking mechanism can function.

So I popped the latching mechanism back into its hole, added a drop or two of TriFlo to the central locking button and worked in the lubricant by pushing the central locking button in and out a few times. I’d recently lubed the key cylinder with TriFlo. This seems to have resolved the problem.

Luddites rejoice ;)

I am having the same problem on both of my sidecases. I removed the lids for painting, and then reattached the lids. I shut the case lids, and latched them. Now, when the key is turned to the "release" position, the lever won't pop up so that you can open the latch for the lids. There is another latch to hold the handle in place, and if I set that latch and turn the key, it will release. So, I know the key is actuating the release mechanism. And this has happened on both side cases, after they were working fine before I removed the lids, and then reattached the lids. So, now, after the first closing, neither will reopen.

I have explored holding down the interlock buttons on the mounting points, but they don't make any difference. And they shouldn't because the lever should pop up when the cases are off the bike.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cap

I am having the same problem on both of my sidecases. I removed the lids for painting, and then reattached the lids. I shut the case lids, and latched them. Now, when the key is turned to the "release" position, the lever won't pop up so that you can open the latch for the lids. There is another latch to hold the handle in place, and if I set that latch and turn the key, it will release. So, I know the key is actuating the release mechanism. And this has happened on both side cases, after they were working fine before I removed the lids, and then reattached the lids. So, now, after the first closing, neither will reopen.

I have explored holding down the interlock buttons on the mounting points, but they don't make any difference. And they shouldn't because the lever should pop up when the cases are off the bike.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cap

Sorry you’re going through this, it’s maddening. All I can contribute is that I dropped some TriFlow down the sides of the two black interlock buttons and pumped the buttons with my thumb for a minute or so. I repeated that a few times, and the case opened.

Argh- having the same problem!

Printed manual is locked in bag as well. I have central locked and alarm on my RT.

What do the beeps indicate? Two beeps, three beeps...?? I can’t tell if it’s alarmed or locked at this point but bags and front cubbies won’t open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, when the key is turned to the "release" position, the lever won't pop up ...

Well, I blame it on COVID loss of cognitive function. :hide I eventually remembered that twisting the key does not unlatch the side cases. Pushing the button does. Yikes. Maybe I still have a few good years left before my brain is completely rotted. Sorry I can't help the rest of you. But at least you don't share my problem.

Cap

Pushing the arrow button on the remote works to unlock too!! [emoji54]

Problem solved. I also blame COVID on the brain!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teflon to the Rescue

2016 RTW, and like the title says, I have a pannier that won't open.

The key goes in, and it turns the cylinder. The key can depress the cylinder, and the cylinder rotates, but the latch for the pannier doesn't release.

I am able to rotate the key to the release position and the bag can be removed from the bike.

Anyone seen this before, and know of a cheap and quick fix?

I have had this problem on and off since I purchased my '15 RT. I use some Dupont liquid Teflon I purchased from Aerostich to lub the lock and all of the moving plastic bits associated with latching. Seems to work immediately and lasts a long time. I just had this happen again last week, so lubed both side cases. I do not have central locking.

Back