Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Talk Me Out of Buying a '77 /7!

Trade up

One of the reasons I traded my R75/7 in for a 83 R80RT was the brakes.

The R75/7 had only one ATE disc brake on the front. Adding weight and a passenger, pushed the system to the limit. For a Naked R75, the ATE system was adequate with a solo rider. The dual Brembo system on the RT is far better.

I ride my 78 R100RS and always think about doing a front end swap to a dual Brembo fork and brake system. The only thing stopping me is the lack of used parts and cash. Everyone seems to be swapping the ATE systems out for Brembo as such, Brembo front ends are kind of hard to find for a reasonable price. There are lots of dual ATE systems on the web.

I can't say much about how much difference there would be between the handle bar mounted master cylinder versus the under tank system I don't think I will be going that far as I don't want to change switch gear. I can say for certain the Brembo brakes are far superior to the ATE brakes.

Oh, here I go launching a new thread off the subject of the thread in hand, LOL. St.

It is my carefully considered opinion that the 1977 model 750 engine was the best Airhead engine BMW ever built (excluding of course some of Pridmore's race engines ). It is also my carefully considered opinion that the ATE horseshoe caliper single disk brakes were (even when properly adjusted) the worst brakes they ever built. Even with the aftermarket Meehanite (cast iron) disk and Ferodo pads the brakes were marginal. But still better than dragging your feet.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

A bit off track here, but I don't get the disdain thrown at the single ATE brake. I happen to like mine a lot...probably because I've never really had anything else. I kind of agree about the meekness of the brake up until my last rebuild. I had to redo the under tank master cylinder...honed it and basically put new OEM stuff back in. I always had trouble getting the eccentric to align. I read a trick and gave it a try. I put some pressure on the brake lever and held it down with a bungee/rope. I then rotated the eccentric and could feel it go tight each direction as it worked against the pads. I could feel the center of that was the sweet spot. I locked it down, continued the bleeding process.

The brakes feel the best they ever have. I get easy, firm 2-finger braking and they really work great. It's a progressive feel and it really seems to haul down the front end. I think getting that eccentric perfect did the trick.

Back to the sales pitch for the '77 /7!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I use to own a 64 Triumph Bonneville that had drum brakes front and rear. They worked great.... if one used "plan ahead" stopping. I owned a 75 R60/6 with drum brakes front and rear, these worked better than the Triumph's brakes. I think that disc brakes are better than drum brakes. Some folks can make do with either. (Following is from some old BMW ad - )

Fred_1-vi.jpgFredSmiles-vi.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    It is my carefully considered opinion that the 1977 model 750 engine was the best Airhead engine BMW ever built (excluding of course some of Pridmore's race engines ). It is also my carefully considered opinion that the ATE horseshoe caliper single disk brakes were (even when properly adjusted) the worst brakes they ever built. Even with the aftermarket Meehanite (cast iron) disk and Ferodo pads the brakes were marginal. But still better than dragging your feet.
    Yes, that's a fact indeed! I rode the bike yesterday and soon discovered you have to gauge your stopping distances with binoculars! LoL Engine was a gem but the handling was off on this bike.E Either the vintage style (but only 5 years old) Dunlops or perhaps the steering bearings were in need of adjustment? I decided to pass on the bike for now and perhaps spend more time learning about Airheads before taking the plunge. Afterall, I'm still in the process of doing upgrades to my Oilhead that I bought last June.

Cheers!
    Art

Thank you

Thank you for the post, it was fun talking about one of my favorite bikes and airheads in general.

I have never had any BMW but airheads and only four models. I have done a lot of repairs on airheads, my own and friend's.

There has never been a better bike built than a BMW airhead. At least, that is my thought. LOL. St.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Thank you for the post, it was fun talking about one of my favorite bikes and airheads in general.

I have never had any BMW but airheads and only four models. I have done a lot of repairs on airheads, my own and friend's.

There has never been a better bike built than a BMW airhead. At least, that is my thought. LOL. St.
    Yes, I enjoyed the banter quite a lot too!! I'm really new to the World of BMW, having just bought my first one (y2k RT) last June. I'm still gradually updating it which my wife reminded me of when I said I was going to look at the R75! LoL My Oilhead now has 60k miles so it's well past due for a spline lube which I'll tackle this winter. A rewire on the HES and some aftermarket suspension and it should be good-to-go for quite awhile.

I'm finding just about every version of the BMW boxer bikes have their own nuances and I'm looking forward to dabbling into the world of Airheads when the right one comes along!

Cheers!
    Art

/7's are good bikes; why would I talk you out of buying one?

Ran Bush
    Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    You should also consider joining the Airheads Beemer Club - airheads.org
    Thanks for mentioning the Airhead club! We need more members, as do many clubs.
    Ran Bush in NorCal