• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Installing key cylinders for my 2018 R1200GSA

tpauley

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help. I’ve ordered BMW panniers, top box and 8 key cylinders for my 2018 R1200GSA. The dealer cannot code the locks for several weeks, so I’m going to give it a go. I’ve found several excellent YouTube videos that demonstrate how to code the cylinders to my specific key. Unfortunately, none of the videos I have found clearly demonstrate the correct rotational orientation when inserting the cylinder into the cylinder receiver of the R1200GSA aluminum panniers and top box.

The image below (for a Vario pannier, but similar to the R1200GSA aluminum cases in terms of illustrating the key-stop protuberance) shows the protruding key-stop towards the left end of the cylinder. Given the male (i.e., the key cylinder) to female (i.e., the seating point of the key cylinder receptacle) coupling of the cylinder inside the cylinder receptacle, there are only two possible positions for the key-stop protuberance. Does the rotational orientation of the key-stop protuberance matter or should it be in a specific position relative to a reference part of the key cylinder receptacle?

Thanks!

Tim

Attachments

• cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 77
When you have springs/wafer correctly oriented and key inserted in lock...insert lock into lock barrel and rotate, it will fall into position when lock "tongue" finds the barrel slot. You can look down barrel before inserting to see if they relatively aligned. A small blade depressing the lower lock locking tab/wafer is easily depressed should you want to remove lock for any reason...of course only while case is unlocked.

Lots of information available using the “Tag Cloud” at the bottom of the page.
I will move this to Wetheads later.
Good luck.
OM

Thanks, Motodan. I figured out the correct orientation of the protruding key stop once I got the locks open and took a look. There is only one correct position, which becomes pretty self-evident upon inspection.

The locks are a little stiff. What kind of lube would you recommend? Moly? WD40?

Thanks!

Tim

Attachments

• cylinder.png
    cylinder.png
    53 KB · Views: 46
I’m a fan of Tri-Flow for locks. May be hard to find for you. WD-40 is best for flushing out a lock as it has little real lubrication value. Mostly, any commercially available lock lube should get you by.
OM

I order it from McMaster Carr. The large can (tf2000 maybe) is the high end product at around $22/can. Some don’t want to get that involved. Grainger has it as well- usually on a display shelf.
OM

Back