• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

94 RS wiring harness question

Hi I have a 94 R1100RS that continues to run and work well. It has all the options for that year but recently I took off the left side tupperware and found what looks like a wiring harness that has been cut and taped over.

Everything runs well but out of curiosity does anyone know what this is? Why it’s there?

Thanks!

22172E66-9583-4A7A-8850-C90692B94183.jpeg206809F1-CD58-4DFF-B8F8-4C1E6BCD0612.jpeg3646FC9D-E358-47BE-81E2-192776BDC8C8.jpeg

Has the carbon canister been removed? Someone may have been very thorough while performing that task

I am too lazy to go pull the side panel off of Big Red but I am pretty sure that same taped lump is on Voni's 1994 (built in March 1993) R1100RS. I think it is a chunk of harness used later on other models like the RT for something - I never wondered what. Note that the earliest R1100RS bikes did not use a Cat Code Plug because they were hard wired, but then later harnesses were designed to route through the Cat Code Plug for different models in different markets. I think BMW was building harnesses for semi-universal fit and didn't always use all of the harness.

Underneath the tape are all the splices/common points for the harness +/- etc.
All oilheads have this.

Similar to below

Attachments

• Splices.jpg
    Splices.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 65
Yes this makes sense. It does have the canister delete and I’ve also heard that it could be a universal bmw wiring harness. Thank you for the replies!

Back