• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100RT trans and clutch splines bad?

jrx222

Near Balto. MD
My RT has 73k miles on it (bought it when it had 55k). After reading about the importance of spline lube, and determining that the bike likely never had that service, I pulled the transmission. I took pics of the splines which were bone dry. The trans shaft splines show some thinning. And the clutch splines appear to be pretty much worn to triangular cross sections. After proper lubing can these make it another 40k miles? Thanks! 95803206-2545-4166-943D-C302A8BB0C88.jpeg

Attachments

• E57B756E-5105-4D0E-917A-F8344478E4CD.jpeg
    E57B756E-5105-4D0E-917A-F8344478E4CD.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 145
The clutch disk is toast for sure. I can't tell about the transmission shaft. Can you post a clearer close up of the transmission shaft splines?

I agree, the clutch is shot. The shaft? Not sure, clean it up, wire brush it, get the rust off and take another picture, close up of the splines. My gut tells me it will run, but a better picture would help.

I agree, the clutch is shot. The shaft? Not sure, clean it up, wire brush it, get the rust off and take another picture, close up of the splines. My gut tells me it will run, but a better picture would help.

That was my original hunch but I need a better photo. Folks should keep these photos for every thread where somebody asks why they need to lube splines since they didn't need to in their Pinto or Fiat. :banghead

I enlarged the picture (ctrl +). I would use the transmission shaft as is. There doesn't seem to be that much spline debris around the face of the transmission. Had you washed it off?.

A better closeup picture would confirm everyone's opinion.

I agree with the other opinions given so far. Clean up the shaft, lube it and put a new friction disk on. The photo I'm adding here is my RT input shaft after a clutch hub failure. It was cleaned up and a new clutch disk installed. It's been in there for 90k miles and six years. I think your splines look better than mine did.

Capture.JPG

[Quote and picture from Michael Stock ..I think your splines look better than mine did.]

I sure hope so! I wouldn't have given the above pictured spline much chance of running another 10K miles, much less 90K miles and 6 years. Note also how much debris there was on the transmission face around the spline area. You raise an interesting data point that suggests the transmission spline shaft can appear quite used up yet survive with a new clutch hub. The clutch hub obviously has worn in to be conjugate to the old shaft spline suggesting thatt with proper lube, the hub length isn't the life limiting item. At least that's my opinion, even if it isn't a lot of others....

One item bothers me though - If your first spline hub stripped out so early due to a manufactured misalignment error, why has the second spline hub lasted longer? Might there have been something in the original assembly (presumably at the factory) that misaligned the engine/transmission? Like maybe not using a clutch disk alignment tool at the factory?

Your picture raises a lot of questions. A lot of input shafts have needlessly been replaced.

Last edited:
I agree with the other opinions given so far. Clean up the shaft, lube it and put a new friction disk on. The photo I'm adding here is my RT input shaft after a clutch hub failure. It was cleaned up and a new clutch disk installed. It's been in there for 90k miles and six years. I think your splines look better than mine did.

View attachment 78499

Was the drive plate replaced as well when the clutch assy. was replaced?

Was the drive plate replaced as well when the clutch assy. was replaced?

I’m not the original poster. I don’t want to hijack the thread. I posted my comment and photo to give my experience with reuse of a partially worn transmission splines. Just to answer the questions hoping that they help the OP. No, I didn’t replace the rest of the clutch pack. Just the friction disk. The clutch had some shudder as it engaged for a few hundred miles, the new disk bedding into the plate, but it got softer each ride and the clutch is very smooth. I bought this bike used with 48k miles. Had plenty of repairs needed in the first few thousand miles. 207k miles now, three deer and a turkey vulture so I have accepted that the paint and body work is no longer perfect.

I’m not the original poster. I don’t want to hijack the thread. I posted my comment and photo to give my experience with reuse of a partially worn transmission splines. Just to answer the questions hoping that they help the OP. No, I didn’t replace the rest of the clutch pack. Just the friction disk. The clutch had some shudder as it engaged for a few hundred miles, the new disk bedding into the plate, but it got softer each ride and the clutch is very smooth. I bought this bike used with 48k miles. Had plenty of repairs needed in the first few thousand miles. 207k miles now, three deer and a turkey vulture so I have accepted that the paint and body work is no longer perfect.

Interesting, information noted.

Thanks all for the replies! At a minimum I should get a clutch pack then I’m thinking. Beemer boneyard has them I see. I did not clean anything when I took the original pic. Not much in the way of debris. For the trans splines I took what I hope are better pics - shown here. For one of them I put some antiseize in the valleys for better contrast.21B700C8-79BA-4217-8BE8-3F1A273F5D26.jpg8CD030F6-931B-4242-9199-86904FA66868.jpg8932180B-9EF6-451C-BA77-9B4051FEE347.jpg

They are not great, but probably will run as long as you want, with some lube. Considering it took 75,000 miles to get this far they will run that far again with lube.

Thanks all for the feedback! I have leftover sig wurth/ Honda moly (Paul’s formula from awhile back) that I’ll use 50/50. After doing some searching on the forum I think I’ll replace the clutch pack and not just the friction disk. My HES is on its way to GSAddict for a rewire. Figured this was as good a time as any to do that.

Back