Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fork Seals on '96 R1100RT

Thanks!

Thanks, I'm definitely doing seals/covers. Checking for lines with supplier, too!

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    Mike, yes replace the dust covers along with the seals. There are two great videos on the fork seals replacement, one from Chris Harris and the other from Kirk of the Illinois BMW club. Harris shows it from above and Kirk does it from below. Kirk does it on a K12LT but itís the same fork and procedure. When you pull the lower fork legs you have to disconnect the brake lines where they are attached on each leg. The right side should come off easy, the left has a little 3 mm hex screw which is easy to strip. Use some penetrating oil and then some heat on it before you try to remove it.

OMG, you still have the original rubber brake hoses? Get them off the bike NOW.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post

I'm not at all opposed to steel braided brake lines, and I believe in proactive immanence and upgrades. But, I also wonder how many people who quickly claim that 10 or 20 year old "rubber" bike brake lines are dangerous have ever changed out the rubber brake lines on their cars? You should do what makes you feel comfortable.
    As a matter of fact, that's the first thing I change on every car I get.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    As a matter of fact, that's the first thing I change on every car I get.
    One fine spring day our good friend, Jim Shaw was finishing his several day visit from chilly Ohio, here in the Texas Big Bend. He had left snowy Hinckley headed the long way to Daytona for Bike Week, by way of Texas. He towed his GS here with his Buick. We spent several days riding the local area. Then it became time to head to Daytona.

He backed his Buick and trailer up to the garage and we loaded the GS. From there it was a slight downhill to a 90 degree turn in the driveway. As he approached the turn he applied the brakes, the pedal went to the floor, and he made a rather startling hard left turn to stay in the driveway. The Buick had burst one of its METAL pre-formed brake lines which had rusted through. The failure was no doubt caused by the extensive use of road salt in his local Ohio locality.

NAPA ordered a replacement brake line but the wrong part arrived. We tried another store. Finally a Buick dealership overnighted the correct part but poor Jim was several days late to Daytona.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 04-14-2020 at 11:06 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    One fine spring day our good friend, Jim Shaw was finishing his several day visit from chilly Ohio, here in the Texas Big Bend. He had left snowy Hinckley headed the long way to Daytona for Bike Week, by way of Texas. He towed his GS here with his Buick. We spent several days riding the local area. Then it became time to head to Daytona.

He backed his Buick and trailer up to the garage and we loaded the GS. From there it was a slight downhill to a 90 degree turn in the driveway. As he approached the turn he applied the brakes, the pedal went to the floor, and he made a rather startling hard left turn to stay in the driveway. The Buick had burst one of its METAL pre-formed brake lines which had rusted through. The failure was no doubt caused by the extensive use of road salt in his local Ohio locality.

NAPA ordered a replacement brake line but the wrong part arrived. We tried another store. Finally a Buick dealership overnighted the correct part but poor Jim was several days late to Daytona.
    At least the thing let go at the right time - not when he REALLY needed the the brakes!

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    At least the thing let go at the right time - not when he REALLY needed the the brakes!
    Had he left the property headed to Daytona his first 53 miles would have been on TX 118 north to Alpine. About 40 of those 53 miles are hilly and curvy. I would not have wanted to have been on that road when the brakes failed. He and I agreed he was lucky.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I had the rear rubber line fail on my 2000 RT in my garage shortly after I got it last year. Had my son holding down the brake pedal while I was torquing down the rear wheel lug nuts. I've got stainless Speiglers on the bike now!

I discovered a leaking fork seal on my '03 R1150RT and remembered reading this thread. Over the weekend I replaced the seal from the top. I removed the left side tupperware and this gave me much more room to work, I didn't struggle with it nearly as much as Chris Harris did in his video. The extra 10 minutes to remove and replace the tupperware was probably less than I would have spent trying to work around it.

Another thing I did that I think helped: I opened the vent valve in the top of the fork tube before pulling the tube out of the slider, and tightened it back down after re-inserting the tube. No struggling against air pressure.