• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 R1100RS Project bike.

Looks even better in the sun. Took it for a short ride today. Rides nice, but the ABS is flashing. I will try a reset tomorrow

Jim :brow

Is the battery completely charged? I did the mod to power the ABS unit from the alternator lead wire. That way it isn't booting when the battery is cranking the bike. It solved the issue for me, and has worked for years. Some people think this is a bad idea, but based on my experience it solved the problem.

Is the battery completely charged? I did the mod to power the ABS unit from the alternator lead wire. That way it isn't booting when the battery is cranking the bike. It solved the issue for me, and has worked for years. Some people think this is a bad idea, but based on my experience it solved the problem.

Yeah, new and fully charged, with the headlight disconnected.

Thanks,

Good luck with the re-set, and thanks for a very enjoyable report.

Any plans for the transmission drain bolt, now that the bike is running?

It is your bike, so do what you want, but as I'm sure you have heard before, the alternator bypass defeats the point of the ABS battery test when starting the bike. BMW designed the ABS to test the loaded voltage of the battery during starting to confirm there will be sufficient power to run the ABS in case of an engine failure. Personally, I think ABS is a major safety technology and believe I always want to know it will work. This is one case where I will defer to the engineers.

BMW R1100RS Project

Good pick for a resto project. This model does not get the recognition it deserves. Back in the early 90’s BMW twins were pretty much panned by the motorcycle cognoscenti as old, antiquated, obsolete, etc.. Probably correct. This Cycle World front cover acknowledges that there was a new era at BMW Motorad.

Attachments

• 833C9509-C796-4B50-92E1-368034CD72E2.jpeg
    833C9509-C796-4B50-92E1-368034CD72E2.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 162
Looks suspiciously like jsouth on his way to get groceries. :)

I was voted "least likely to pop a wheelie, ever" and I have lived up to the award. I admit to some carving through the twisties at extralegal speeds on occasion, but wheelies aren't my style! :wave

I was voted "least likely to pop a wheelie, ever" and I have lived up to the award. I admit to some carving through the twisties at extralegal speeds on occasion, but wheelies aren't my style! :wave

That reminds me of a story. I was riding my 1977 Yamaha XS7502D, a 750 cc three cylinder motorcycle, in Muscatine, Iowa. I was at a stop sign on a minor street where it intersected a 4 lane arterial street with about a 45 mph speed limit I would guess. Traffic was coming from both directions. I spotted an opening, let out the clutch, and sluggishly attempted to cross the street before the oncoming traffic arrived. Then I noticed I was in 3rd gear, having failed to down shift upon coming to a stop.

With the throttle already rolled aggressively "on" I did a quick double downshift. Hitting 1st gear the front wheel lifted majestically from the pavement as if it was filled with helium and I was doing a wheelie across a busy four lane street with oncoming traffic. At that moment I didn't think wheelies were very much fun at all.

Frozen in fear, or at least angst, I nonetheless did not panic and did ride that wheelie all the way across the remaining three lanes without falling over. I did manage to roll off and not hit anything or fall off or tip over between the cross street and the next alley. My pants remained dry and clean but I would not have wished to know my pulse rate or blood pressure when I stopped the bike, and I was still only 34 or 35 when that happened. YMMV

That reminds me of a story. I was riding my 1977 Yamaha XS7502D, a 750 cc three cylinder motorcycle, in Muscatine, Iowa. I was at a stop sign on a minor street where it intersected a 4 lane arterial street with about a 45 mph speed limit I would guess. Traffic was coming from both directions. I spotted an opening, let out the clutch, and sluggishly attempted to cross the street before the oncoming traffic arrived. Then I noticed I was in 3rd gear, having failed to down shift upon coming to a stop.

With the throttle already rolled aggressively "on" I did a quick double downshift. Hitting 1st gear the front wheel lifted majestically from the pavement as if it was filled with helium and I was doing a wheelie across a busy four lane street with oncoming traffic. At that moment I didn't think wheelies were very much fun at all.

Frozen in fear, or at least angst, I nonetheless did not panic and did ride that wheelie all the way across the remaining three lanes without falling over. I did manage to roll off and not hit anything or fall off or tip over between the cross street and the next alley. My pants remained dry and clean but I would not have wished to know my pulse rate or blood pressure when I stopped the bike, and I was still only 34 or 35 when that happened. YMMV

Great story! :clap:clap:clap

I could have written that story myself, though I believe I may have leaked a bit! :laugh

Finally had a little time to tinker. Took the throttle bodies off and cleaned and lubed them, adjusted the cables, set the sync and got it running perfectly. I also adjusted the clutch so the engagement point is closer to the grip, and cleaned and reassembled it. Looks great, from 5 feet, and rides really nice. Still messing with the ABS, but that may be a lot cause.

PS I tried getting the trans drain plug one last time. No go. My drill and extractor kit is not long enough. I did change the trans oil by using a pump to draw out the old through the fill hole, so all fluids are done.

The RS is a great riding machine! I have enjoyed mine tremendously. I note your Aeroflow screen -- I use that one for winter riding, but it is too much for Oklahoma summers. I go back to the stock screen in late spring and change in mid-fall to the Aeroflow.

The RS is a great riding machine! I have enjoyed mine tremendously. I note your Aeroflow screen -- I use that one for winter riding, but it is too much for Oklahoma summers. I go back to the stock screen in late spring and change in mid-fall to the Aeroflow. I am lucky enough to be able to ride all twelve months here (but not every weekend).

You cannot go two weeks without a post. The RS brigade gets despondent without regular updates. :) Thanks for the update. What a remarkable change. So nice to see one that might have been abandon, ready for the road.

Just awesome! You brought another BMW back to life and have not doubt inspired others to do the same thing. Thanks so much for sharing.

Back