• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So...what are you doing to keep yourself occupied while the world is jammed up?

Starting the winter maintenance of all things internal combustion. With cars, bikes, mowers, generators and various other machines I have 39 pistons to keep happy.

My 7+ year old desktop computer went south on me, so I researched what's current and built a new one. I did salvage the case and optical drive, Noctua fans (super quiet), keyboard, mouse, monitor.

With great trepidation I hooked everything up and hit the button this afternoon. I was shocked to see it boot up from the Windows 10 install USB flash drive. I didn't even have to get into the BIOS. It's such a relief when new build works. I spent a week researching what's current in computers before ordering parts.

Harry

Inquiring minds would like to know what all components you selected. ;)

My 7+ year old desktop computer went south on me, so I researched what's current and built a new one. I did salvage the case and optical drive, Noctua fans (super quiet), keyboard, mouse, monitor.

With great trepidation I hooked everything up and hit the button this afternoon. I was shocked to see it boot up from the Windows 10 install USB flash drive. I didn't even have to get into the BIOS. It's such a relief when new build works. I spent a week researching what's current in computers before ordering parts.

Harry

Something you might find interesting is that if you did a backup of your new machine and then restored it to a different computer it would also boot up, and likely only require one - maybe two - reboots for Windows 10 to configure itself to that system.

Inquiring minds would like to know what all components you selected. ;)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU 65 watts TPD
Noctua NH-U9S CPU air cooler with 90 mm Noctua fan
ASUS Prime X570-Pro motherboard
EVGA 750 watt "Gold" rated power supply
G.Skill 3200 DDR4 RAM, 2 sticks of 8GB
Sabrent 500 GB NVMe SSD running on PCIE 4.0
Western Digital Black 2-TB 3.5" hard drive
Salvaged existing Fractal full tower steel case with 2 Noctua fans up front, 1 Noctua fan at rear, all super quiet and large
Also salvaged EVGA Geforce 1070 graphics card, Creative SoundBlaster sound card, and Plextor DVD optical drive

Easily upgradeable to series 5000 AMD Ryzen CPUs and fancy graphics cards.

Harry

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU 65 watts TPD
Noctua NH-U9S CPU air cooler with 90 mm Noctua fan
ASUS Prime X570-Pro motherboard
EVGA 750 watt "Gold" rated power supply
G.Skill 3200 DDR4 RAM, 2 sticks of 8GB
Sabrent 500 GB NVMe SSD running on PCIE 4.0
Western Digital Black 2-TB 3.5" hard drive
Salvaged existing Fractal full tower steel case with 2 Noctua fans up front, 1 Noctua fan at rear, all super quiet and large
Also salvaged EVGA Geforce 1070 graphics card, Creative SoundBlaster sound card, and Plextor DVD optical drive

Easily upgradeable to series 5000 AMD Ryzen CPUs and fancy graphics cards.

Harry

Looks very good. I may be doing a similar thing to build a video and photo editing system. Thanks!

Looks very good. I may be doing a similar thing to build a video and photo editing system. Thanks!

You're welcome.

From what I've read, an AMD chip would fit the bill for what you intend to do. You can get good advice from Tom's Hardware site and the reviews on Newegg.

ASUS has a "QVL," a qualified vendor's list, which we in the road construction business (before I retired) called an "approved list." That's how I picked the CPU air cooler and RAM sticks.

Harry

You're welcome.

From what I've read, an AMD chip would fit the bill for what you intend to do. You can get good advice from Tom's Hardware site and the reviews on Newegg.

ASUS has a "QVL," a qualified vendor's list, which we in the road construction business (before I retired) called an "approved list." That's how I picked the CPU air cooler and RAM sticks.

Harry

My current desktop workhorse box is several years old but it's based on an ASUS motherboard and was build as a just-under-gaming system at the time. It's worked perfectly and responded to some upgrades over the years, but it's getting to be time for something newer/better/faster.

Starting the winter maintenance of all things internal combustion. With cars, bikes, mowers, generators and various other machines I have 39 pistons to keep happy.

I have been reducing my piston count over the years, or I thought.

Eliminated pistons with the lawn mower, snow blower, chain saw and leaf blower with 80 Volt battery system. No more draining the carb and the gas tank. Next few days I will wipe down the mower, sharpen the blade and hang it on the wall. Replaced the limb saw with a 40 Volt system that also powers a smaller chain saw that is easily carried in a back pack for trail maintenance duties when on the bike. Have not regretted the move to batteries once.

Sold one bike that will probably be replaced by another for trail duty. Trying to figure out the right time to bring that up to the wife without going to DEFCON 3. My brother-in-law passed away this summer so I now have a 2002 K1200 RS that will be posted shortly, hopefully getting rid of four more pistons. Additionally he left a 1963 Triumph Cub that I hope to finish up restoring and give to some deserving museum, if they want it. His passing has me taking a hard look at everything else that is parked around, G310GS, R100RS, R50/2, Honda 305 scrambler in pieces, Rabbit Diesel Pickup and thinking I need to be thinning the heard. How many pistons do you need? I am lucky to have everything in heated storage so I have no excuses for getting to it year around except for getting rid of distractions. I have people I know that say they have nothing to do, never figured that out.

So counting the Cruze Diesel and the wife's Happy Car (KIA Soul) I think I am at 24 pistons.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, 4 inches of snow, Michigan
#71,449

Good specs in that system. I replaced all the fans in my media center PC we use to stream to the TV with Noctua fans last year and it reduced the noise dramatically. For intense video editing/rendering you may want multiple SSD’s though. WD Black HDD’s are great for routine storage but not video rendering IMHO.

I do remain partial to Intel Processors myself. After 35 years of building/repairing systems I never had one fail but did lose a few AMD’s a long time ago. Just my personal preference though.

This is the year I should have signed up for the mileage contest. Since the pandemic hit, I've changed the oil twice on all 5 bikes, changed tires on two of them, and best as I can tell, ridden 35467 miles since February.
Thats a record for me, New England is cold and snowy half the year. This in the context of no rallies, no leaving the states for a jaunt around canada, and most of the rides being WFH lunch break rides, or what-else-is-their-to-do after work and weekend rides. It was a warm spring and even before the lockdown my buddy Steve and I had been over the Kanc and home (325 mile loop) at least 3 times before it started getting cold and wet in mid March.

Thanksgiving is cancelled, but riding isnt. Been a strange year

I have been working my way through some older equipment that hasn’t been used in a while. I just resurrected a full Honda 2” pressure pump. I haven’t used it in 15 or so years. It wouldn’t pull over but I knew it wasn’t the engine- it’s a Honda ;)
The volute was all rusted up. I think I put RV antifreeze in it hoping to keep it limbered up. Seems like the RVAF worked against me. Once I got that cleaned out and put back together, ran like a champ.
Pretty good for my 15+ year old gas treatment. Another thing off the list.
OM

Well... I had H take me to emergency room Tuesday morning after waiting out/ denying whatever was happening in my lower back. Had ridden to club meeting Saturday morning and as I returned home and stepped off bike I immediately dropped to my knees... WTF?

Short story is my first experience with a kidney stone. OH MY! Have bent, broken, scraped, slashed, and punctured a lot of things on my body in my time, however, this took all that to a new level. “Only 3 mm” according to doctor after scan so sent me home with meds and a pat on the back. Still waiting between pain pills that I totally avoid if possible. I feel like Mike Tyson is standing by to keep me awake with kidney shots.

Then my sister says my brother currently is waiting on laser surgery for
as he describes as a Guinness Record at 11mm! His earliest opening for
surgery will be New Years Eve! We talked last night and he “ feels my pain”
Pretty strange regardless

The bright spot was rural hospital is new, I went directly into room and had doctor and scans within two hours. H was temp scanned in lobby and we were only folks here.

Well... I had H take me to emergency room Tuesday morning after waiting out/ denying whatever was happening in my lower back. Had ridden to club meeting Saturday morning and as I returned home and stepped off bike I immediately dropped to my knees... WTF?

Short story is my first experience with a kidney stone. OH MY! Have bent, broken, scraped, slashed, and punctured a lot of things on my body in my time, however, this took all that to a new level. “Only 3 mm” according to doctor after scan so sent me home with meds and a pat on the back. Still waiting between pain pills that I totally avoid if possible. I feel like Mike Tyson is standing by to keep me awake with kidney shots.

Then my sister says my brother currently is waiting on laser surgery for
as he describes as a Guinness Record at 11mm! His earliest opening for
surgery will be New Years Eve! We talked last night and he “ feels my pain”
Pretty strange regardless

The bright spot was rural hospital is new, I went directly into room and had doctor and scans within two hours. H was temp scanned in lobby and we were only folks here.

Ouch, I feel for you having gone through that a little over a year ago. No issues since, but I miss the things I’ve had to cut from my diet—spinach salads, beets, almonds, etc.; all the high-oxalate stuff. Hang in there, and here’s hoping this is two for you—the first and the last!

Best,
DeVern

One of my brothers was medivaced out of Vietnam on his second tour because a large kidney stone. Took him a few weeks to finally pass the stone and several weeks to get him off the morphine he became addicted to. He said he was told that a kidney stone is as close as a man can come to experiencing the pain of child birth (I always thought that the inopportune operation of the fly on one's pants was pretty close), and if that were true then he doesn't see why any woman lets a man get within 20 feet of her.

Steve, I hope your passes soon and with little pain.

Back