• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

brake question 01 k1200LT

jz3377

Just about to hit 36K, and it sounds like the brake pads need replacing. (metal to metal scraping sound when brakes applied) Can this be done without removing the rotor/wheel/etc? It looks pretty straight forward but I have a tendency to get knee deep in a project before finding out I'm in over my head.

I believe so. Don’t keep driving it, you’ll destroy the rotor. Got any grooves cut into the rotor?

No, thankfully it looks ok. I just started hearing the sound a day or so ago. Been staying off the rear brakes as much as possible. Pads ordered!

The pads can be slipped in with the caliper in place. It is a bit awkward though. You drive the two pins from left to right and then pull them out. The spring and short pin are then loose. Spread the pads as far as they can be spread on both sides of the disk. Lift the pads up and out. Insert the new pads and keep them from dropping too far. Put one pin through the 1st pad, then the loop in the spring, and then through the second pad. Put the short pin in the slots in the pads with the spring over this little pin. Depress the other end of the spring slightly and insert the other pin through the 1st pad, over the end of the spring and through the second pad. Drive the pins the rest of the way across the caliper. Short stroke the rear brake pedal several times (going no further than the normal travel of the pedal) until the pistons have pushed the pads and the brake is firm.

Just about to hit 36K, and it sounds like the brake pads need replacing. (metal to metal scraping sound when brakes applied) Can this be done without removing the rotor/wheel/etc? It looks pretty straight forward but I have a tendency to get knee deep in a project before finding out I'm in over my head.

It's a pretty straightforward job. Even if you end up having to pull the caliper off (to get the pistons retracted), it's no biggie. I'd recommend taking lots of pix as you dig in so that you have a record of how it all goes back together.
Get in there and do it. You'll save money, feel better about yourself, and bond with your bike.

yes, not a hard job.

i would suggest however that you make checking the thickness of your brakes pads a monthly routine. pads should NEVER be allowed to get worn down to the backing plates. very unsafe and will damage the rotors.

Back