• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Question/kicking the hornets nest šŸ˜‚

Manual says API SL, but recommends an oil with API SN.

I smell conspiracy...ā€¦ā€¦.

I have always understood that any oil spec higher than the recommendation is acceptable. You can just not use a lesser spec.

I have always understood that any oil spec higher than the recommendation is acceptable. You can just not use a lesser spec.

Unless of course it was from SG or SH to SJ where BMW famously took on the API and said do not use SJ oil. (Insufficient anti-wear additive for flat cam followers)

Ever since the SJ fiasco I ignore the API ratings totally and go by the JASO ratings. If it is rated JASO MA2 and the correct viscosity you are good to go.

Added: The whole SJ joke was caused by auto makers coercing the API because they were tired of expensive emissions warranty claims caused by the deterioration of catalytic converters due to the anti-wear additives in engine oil. The API caved to pressure and BMW boldly called them on the lack of sufficient ZDDP in SJ oils. I have never trusted the API since. It simply is not true (or wasn't then) that later specs were better specs.

Last edited:
You know you've been here a long time when you can anticipate the flow of topics (points) in an oil thread

Heck, we haven't even gotten into the whole Group III "full synthetic" versus Group IV "ester based full synthetic" discussion yet...

Heck, we haven't even gotten into the whole Group III "full synthetic" versus Group IV "ester based full synthetic" discussion yet...

Please, tell me there's an off ramp on this highway of the damned........

Last edited:
Funny but I've read dozens of these Oil threads over the years and everyone has his/her oil preference and the debate always ensues about which is best. BUT ... never had I heard of any engine damage or reduced life as a result of the oil used. I always use the spec oil the manufacturer recommends and have never had an issue. I've never used synthetic until I bought liquid cooled BMW's where synthetic is recommended by BMW. Have always changed my oil at about 2000 to 3000 miles depending on the time since last change. Never had a shifting issue. It seems like all the commonly used brands work and it is more of a personal preference. Just my $.02.

I truly believe any perception of 'better shifting' coming out of any oil fully meeting the recommended specification is pure hallucination. I just don't think the differences in lubricity between same rated oils would have to be close to zero, and when you think about the forces involved I just don't see it. Of course any oil that isn't rated for wet clutch operation could change that but again, same rated oils. I've used Advantec Ultimate for 2/3 of my 42K miles now, LiquiMoly for one change, and now followed your endorsement on the Castrol you linked above and once again there is no difference in shifting whatsoever, as predicted.

FWIW, folks have posted BS lab analysis of Advantec Ultimate only to disclose it had far higher moly content than did this Castrol, which had far more (relative) than did LiquiMoly which had nearly zero.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/top...ting-with-oil/?do=findComment&comment=1032495

I truly believe any perception of 'better shifting' ...is pure hallucination.

As one of the people who posted that assertion, I can only say that I am not hallucinating. There is a clear and significant difference between the way that my motorcycle shifts while using different brands of oil that have JASO MA2 ratings. Specifically, 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts and downshifts exhibit a distinct shock as the gears engage using some brands, and are butter-smooth using others. Perhaps your motorcycle is different... but you have no basis to conclude that other riders are hallucinating based on your experience with one motorcycle.

FWIW, folks have posted BS lab analysis of Advantec Ultimate only to disclose it had far higher moly content than did this Castrol, which had far more (relative) than did LiquiMoly which had nearly zero.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/top...ting-with-oil/?do=findComment&comment=1032495

That's a good thread... Just to clarify, the "BS" does not mean Bull Excrement :). Rather you refer to a respected firm, Blackstone labs.

Cap

As one of the people who posted that assertion, I can only say that I am not hallucinating. There is a clear and significant difference between the way that my motorcycle shifts while using different brands of oil that have JASO MA2 ratings. Specifically, 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts and downshifts exhibit a distinct shock as the gears engage using some brands, and are butter-smooth using others. Perhaps your motorcycle is different... but you have no basis to conclude that other riders are hallucinating based on your experience with one motorcycle.

That's a good thread... Just to clarify, the "BS" does not mean Bull Excrement :). Rather you refer to a respected firm, Blackstone labs.

Cap

Itā€™s my belief Cap, and Iā€™d bet $$ in a double blinded test the result would clearly demonstrate this to be placebo, a close cousin to hallucination. Just my belief and I respect others will see it differently. Only a double blinded test of subjective impressions would get to the truth.

As the accordion playing poet F. Yankovic sang, ā€œ in Heaven there is no beer, thatā€™s why we drink it hereā€

Bill

As the accordion playing poet F. Yankovic sang, ā€œ in Heaven there is no beer, thatā€™s why we drink it hereā€

Bill

As a kid, I truly enjoyed the F. Yankovic family TV commercials from the PA hard coal regions. There was something more than mine acid in that water.....

Itā€™s my belief Cap, and Iā€™d bet $$ in a double blinded test the result would clearly demonstrate this to be placebo, a close cousin to hallucination. Just my belief and I respect others will see it differently. Only a double blinded test of subjective impressions would get to the truth.

I can only share my own personal experience and observation but in all my years of owning and riding boxers (R1100RT, R1150GS, R1200RT hexhead, R 1200GSA camhead, R1200RTW and R1200GSW) I have never experienced a difference in shifting as a result of the oil I was using and for years I ran good old non-synthetic BMW oil and then semi-synthetic and now full synthetic. And have used BMW Advantec and Castrol and the bikes have always seemed to shift fine. Of course the newer models got better and better gear boxes and shifted smoother and smoother but not as a result of the oil. I know others have had different experiences but this is just what I have experienced.

I can only share my own personal experience and observation but in all my years of owning and riding boxers (R1100RT, R1150GS, R1200RT hexhead, R 1200GSA camhead, R1200RTW and R1200GSW) ....

I had some of those bikes, too. And they all shifted a bit rough, at least compared to the non-BMW bikes I owned. But the earlier boxers have dry clutches, so only the last two you mention might have their shifting affected by the choice of the brand of engine oil. In any case, the crunchy shifts on my 2017 R1200RTW began after an oil change to a new brand, and went away when I dumped that oil (after a long test ride of ~200 miles) and swapped to a third brand. Instant difference, across three brands of oil. Same bike, same rider, same technique, more or less the same mileage on the bike.

Cap

I had some of those bikes, too. And they all shifted a bit rough, at least compared to the non-BMW bikes I owned. But the earlier boxers have dry clutches, so only the last two you mention might have their shifting affected by the choice of the brand of engine oil. In any case, the crunchy shifts on my 2017 R1200RTW began after an oil change to a new brand, and went away when I dumped that oil (after a long test ride of ~200 miles) and swapped to a third brand. Instant difference, across three brands of oil. Same bike, same rider, same technique, more or less the same mileage on the bike.

Cap

You are correct but to add further to my observations ... back in the dry clutch days there were a myriad of discussions on what "gear oil" to use to make the bikes shift smoother. Same observation .... no noticeable difference for me anyway. As the other poster noted ... same oil specs ... same bike ... same results. But that was just my observations. And to be clear I never thought ANY of my bikes shifted poorly. Not the 1100 or the 1150. They certainly did not shift like my Yamaha Royal Star or Honda Valkyrie but they all shifted fine and all got better with each iteration of the boxer motor. For me it's what you are buying when you buy a BMW and is simply part of the character of the bike. Much like the blue pipes ... just part of owning a BMW. Honestly if it bugged me I would probably have gone back to a Honda or Yamaha. But there is so much to love about my BMW's I could not imagine doing that.

Back