• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dual sport tires for 04 1150R?

jsteve

I know I will eventually get a GS, but in the meantime, what about dual sport tires? I live on a dirt road and have plenty of good dirt roads in the area.

Am I nuts for trying this? Have any of you done something similar? Recommendations for tires?

Thanks for your wisdom.

I know I will eventually get a GS, but in the meantime, what about dual sport tires? I live on a dirt road and have plenty of good dirt roads in the area.

Am I nuts for trying this? Have any of you done something similar? Recommendations for tires?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Nuts? No! Years ago I did it on my '03 R1150R. I had no need for long travel but wanted good traction on gravel and dirt roads. I recall a little searching to find something that fits and do not remember what tires I found. This was about 15 years ago. But go for it.

Nuts? No! Years ago I did it on my '03 R1150R. I had no need for long travel but wanted good traction on gravel and dirt roads. I recall a little searching to find something that fits and do not remember what tires I found. This was about 15 years ago. But go for it.

Would this be the correct application for the shorter paralever arm Ive seen offered? Was not sure why you would want to shorten this, but if you are going for the tires, this would give you a bit more clearance?

Would this be the correct application for the shorter paralever arm Ive seen offered? Was not sure why you would want to shorten this, but if you are going for the tires, this would give you a bit more clearance?

My issue never was clearance. It was wheel size - diameter and width.

What about on an RT?

I have an R1150RT and have been thinking the same thing, about the advisability of mounting dual sport tires. Occasionally I encounter gravel or dirt and the bike doesn't like it, either with the PR3s that came on the bike or the Dunlop RS II that are currently on it. I can get Shinko 705s in the right sizes and people say lots of good things about them. They ought to work well enough on the road considering my tame-to-moderate style of riding. Any thoughts about this?

Note: Apologies if I've hijacked this thread. I thought my question was on-topic enough.

I have an R1150RT and have been thinking the same thing, about the advisability of mounting dual sport tires. Occasionally I encounter gravel or dirt and the bike doesn't like it, either with the PR3s that came on the bike or the Dunlop RS II that are currently on it. I can get Shinko 705s in the right sizes and people say lots of good things about them. They ought to work well enough on the road considering my tame-to-moderate style of riding. Any thoughts about this?

Note: Apologies if I've hijacked this thread. I thought my question was on-topic enough.

We have Shinko 705s on our G310GS bikes and they work well on gravel and dirt roads. I think I would have liked them on my R1150R. Since they are not expensive they are certainly worth a try.

I’ve considered the same thing with my RT. Riding the dirt roads in the NE the RT does fair. I like to ride the paved roads in northern Quebec and occasionally come across dirt with round stones the size of marbles and shooters, holy moly that’s scary 2up. Even airing down doesn’t help much. My question to the pros - how much do the duel sport tires affect riding on twisty paved roads?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Best tires I found for my 04 R1150 RT are Shinko 705 series tires.

Best tires I found for my 04 R1150 RT are Shinko 705 series tires.

What kind of mileage are you getting out of them?? Also, how are they on wet roads, especially the front (which is bias-ply not radial like the rear)? I'm considering trying a set just because they're so affordable. My go-to tires on my y2k RT are Pirelli Angel GTs.

Cheers!
-Art

What kind of mileage are you getting out of them?? Also, how are they on wet roads, especially the front (which is bias-ply not radial like the rear)? I'm considering trying a set just because they're so affordable. My go-to tires on my y2k RT are Pirelli Angel GTs.

Cheers!
-Art

With the rear I've got over 10K not quite to wear bar. Front, 15K. I live in the mountains, so wet, sometimes snow & black ice... I also travel on gravel. I just wish the rear was available for my K1600gt..

With the rear I've got over 10K not quite to wear bar. Front, 15K. I live in the mountains, so wet, sometimes snow & black ice... I also travel on gravel. I just wish the rear was available for my K1600gt..

Sounds good... Thanks for the reply. I'll give them a try once my Angel GTs are gone.

Hi did you ever put 705s on the RT? I'm thinking about the same thing.

R1150R, 705's

I've used the Shinko's 705's also on my 04 R1150R and 02 R1150R. We took the bikes on a 6,000 miles ride and I'm glad that was our tire choice. They handled fine in the dry and excellent in wet conditions. We were caught out in some heavy downpours causing flooding across the road and they handled while other bikes were washed off the road. They also gave good confidence when we took to dirt roads.

Attachments

• DSC_0123.jpg
    DSC_0123.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0209.jpg
    DSC_0209.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 28
I should ad that they did give a rougher ride and the dry handling didn't have a great feel like a sports/touring tire does.
If I go to Alaska again it will be my tire of choice, good off road and the mileage is good also, 9,000.

Back