• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is it a sin? Handguards on my R1150R

treeguy

Treeguy
I am really liking how this bike handles wet road and gravel patches even with "street" tires - but my hands are freezing even with the heated grips! Would I be shunned if I was to order/install GS handguards on my lowly R? Not looking for LED flashers or color match - just some wind protection.

I have BMW GS handguards on my '94 R1100RS. Run'em year round and I really don't care what any one else thinks. I also have heated grips. Actually it's common for BMW riders to do this. Good look with your project. Warm hands are in. :)

Had GS handguards on my 2008 R1200R and it never occurred to me that someone might think it a bad idea.

H has GS guards on her 1150R with the Touratech spoiler at top. Runs them year round since the time I removed for summer and she got a rock hit on her knuckles that somehow was my fault:scratch
Get more folks asking about them than snarky comments.

image.png

Has aftermarket set on her 1200R as well, but, they do not cover as well as the OEM.

On my F800GS, I can report that hand guards did nothing for warmth. What seems to make a difference is the “hippo hands” style fabric covers that are available.
I’m pretty sure that you can find some threads using hippo hands in the tag search feature.
OM

Thanks folks, not real sure how tolerant the base is to "mods" - I have come across a few purists who would lose sleep over doing something like this but to me it just makes sense - I too have caught a stone in the knuckle and lost that fight, lucky I didnt lose the bike. Snowing here now, I have time to dream of the next ride. Wind at your back peoples!

On my F800GS, I can report that hand guards did nothing for warmth. What seems to make a difference is the “hippo hands” style fabric covers that are available.
I’m pretty sure that you can find some threads using hippo hands in the tag search feature.
OM

This is very good info. I ride my Ural in temps well below freezing while wearing summer gloves inside my Hippo Hands knockoffs.

H has GS guards on her 1150R with the Touratech spoiler at top. Runs them year round since the time I removed for summer and she got a rock hit on her knuckles that somehow was my fault:scratch

Well of course it is your fault... there can be no doubt.

I recently installed Barkbuster BBZ fabric handguards to keep some heat in.
I haven't ridden much with them, but I am looking forward to them this spring, with the heated grips on high.

I added hand gaurds to my R 850R

Along with a few other GS items.

Attachments

• IMG_0674 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_0674 (1280x960).jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0675 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_0675 (1280x960).jpg
    835.8 KB · Views: 211
Thanks folks, not real sure how tolerant the base is to "mods" - I have come across a few purists who would lose sleep over doing something like this but to me it just makes sense - I too have caught a stone in the knuckle and lost that fight, lucky I didnt lose the bike. Snowing here now, I have time to dream of the next ride. Wind at your back peoples!

Your bike, your rules and mods! :thumb

I try and, actually, succeed to ignore dumb comments about mods I have done on my bikes over the years...:nyah :D

Mine has handguards. It came that way to me. They are not BMW parts because they have Japanese writing on them. Heresy! I’m not taking them off either

The real “Sin” is that I don’t have an R1150R.

Most people are wrapped up in their own World to warrant their opinion worthy about YOUR bike (including me).
Eventually you will not care what anybody thinks of your bike. Nothing wrong with starting to think that way now.
Riding in the cold is always better than not riding in the cold.

Get the Handguards AND the Hippo Hands.

And get the biggest opening on the “Hippo Hands” you can find. Maybe even find the original ones.

Charlie

Has anyone tried putting 1100/1150 GS hand guards on something other than a GS? I'm considering trying it on my R850R. Not really any room to use handlebar mounted guards, plus I have a throttlemeister. Not sure how much modding would be required. They aren't that expensive from BMW..

Has anyone tried putting 1100/1150 GS hand guards on something other than a GS? I'm considering trying it on my R850R. Not really any room to use handlebar mounted guards, plus I have a throttlemeister. Not sure how much modding would be required. They aren't that expensive from BMW..

We uses the R1100GS handguards on an R1100RS. They worked fine.

Back