• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How much more is it work to get a r1250 vs used 2018 r1200rt. RT vs GS local riding

motor4

How much more is it worth to get a r1250 vs used 2018 r1200rt. RT vs GS local riding

Never say never though I am starting to feel my long distance riding days are over. May get to retire this April though even then probably no out of State trips, only trailer if doing so. Saw a used r1200rt in a color I like, sounds crazy though that mattes to me. I know the r1250rt is tops over the older 1200 engine with shiftcam though do wonder just how much more it is worth if comparing a used 2018 r1200rt to a new r1250rt?

Does anyone owning a r1250rt feel it is $6,000 better then a used 2018 RT? Realize that is not a fair question though hopefully you get the idea of what I am trying to sort out. Yes money matters as in if the 2018 cost say $6,000 less used then it would be hard for me to make the leap to a new 2019 model in that black color...maybe a hint of blue mixed in it.

Also, wondering if a GS would be a ‘around town’ bike that would be as good as or maybe better due to less weight then the RT would be for in State riding. No forest trails, mud or such for me so maybe more GS in name.

I almost did a deal on a left over 2018 Gold Wing (base manual model with no trunk). Slight change it could still happen tomorrow. I ride an older 05 r1200rt now and though long in the tooth and with that dam fancy brake system it is still a sweet ride. Just thinking the tech, even on the 2018 r1200rt would be worth the switch just not at tech as a r1250 would be.

Seems BMW is offering 3.9% rate on used and new bikes, if correct, so that too is of interest to me. I also have a 2012 Honda NC700X, my gutless wonder I call it. Does nothing great though, I feel, all things ok. Also have an Aprilia ManaGT850 automatic and I have to say that auto feature is really nice in my book. The auto shifting thing BMW has it not perfect I figure though so long as it does not crew up the transmission seems a win feature.
I know the r1250 sounds nice and the engine feels nice on short demo rides.

Might have to stick with what I have though presently only doing insurance on one of the three bikes so I don’t feel good about that.
Ride safe all.

Last edited:
IME the RT is sportier, GS is more comfortable on my knees. If a Goldwing is in your picture, it's 200+ lb heavier than an RT, so the 50 lb between the RT and the GS wouldn't seem like much of an issue. My GSA is my "everything" bike (I only have one bike). It takes me to the grocery store and across the continent. Always on pavement.

I'm at the point where tech for tech's sake doesn't thrill me. Functional tech (ABS, leaning traction control) are great but if I'm riding within my limits I'll never know they're there. On-the-fly suspension adjustments and throttle modes were fun to play with but after I'd fiddled with them a while I set them back to normal (suspension) and road (throttle) and leave them alone. Shift assist and hill hold - I have them but don't use them, I get more satisfaction from doing my own smooth shifting than letting the bike do it. I've been starting on hills without rolling backward since forever. Eight-way bluetooth connectivity is useless to me: when I'm riding I have no desire to talk on my phone or turn on my Bluetooth lightbulbs at home or distract myself with music (I'm easily distracted these days). The TFT on the new GS is cool and does some really neat things, but navigation by TFT is, IMO, inferior to using the Nav VI. Also, for some inexplicable reason, BMW has not enabled any kind of KPH display on the TFT on the R1250 GSA, which is a pain when I'm riding in Canada - something I've done every year since shortly before I retired.

Is there a particular rush to buy a new (or new-to-you) bike so late in the season? I just got a new GSA to replace my old one and I'm glad I did, but I doubt I'll get 1500 miles on it before I put it to sleep for the winter. I'm re-farkling it so it will be ready to go when I resume riding in March.

You might find an F750 or F850 is fine for around town, or to be trailered to interesting places. Or a Tiger 800, or a KTM 790, or even a G310 ...

Never say never though I am starting to feel my long distance riding days are over. May get to retire this April though even then probably no out of State trips, only trailer if doing so. Saw a used r1200rt in a color I like, sounds crazy though that mattes to me. I know the r1250rt is tops over the older 1200 engine with shiftcam though do wonder just how much more it is worth if comparing a used 2018 r1200rt to a new r1250rt?

Does anyone owning a r1250rt feel it is $6,000 better then a used 2018 RT? Realize that is not a fair question though hopefully you get the idea of what I am trying to sort out. Yes money matters as in if the 2018 cost say $6,000 less used then it would be hard for me to make the leap to a new 2019 model in that black color...maybe a hint of blue mixed in it.

Also, wondering if a GS would be a ‘around town’ bike that would be as good as or maybe better due to less weight then the RT would be for in State riding. No forest trails, mud or such for me so maybe more GS in name.

I almost did a deal on a left over 2018 Gold Wing (base manual model with no trunk). Slight change it could still happen tomorrow. I ride an older 05 r1200rt now and though long in the tooth and with that dam fancy brake system it is still a sweet ride. Just thinking the tech, even on the 2018 r1200rt would be worth the switch just not at tech as a r1250 would be.

Seems BMW is offering 3.9% rate on used and new bikes, if correct, so that too is of interest to me. I also have a 2012 Honda NC700X, my gutless wonder I call it. Does nothing great though, I feel, all things ok. Also have an Aprilia ManaGT850 automatic and I have to say that auto feature is really nice in my book. The auto shifting thing BMW has it not perfect I figure though so long as it does not crew up the transmission seems a win feature.
I know the r1250 sounds nice and the engine feels nice on short demo rides.

Might have to stick with what I have though presently only doing insurance on one of the three bikes so I don’t feel good about that.
Ride safe all.

Say what?

The OP sounds like he’d be better served with a nice R1200R or R1250R with a good aftermarket windshield or a Parabellum Scout mounted up.

Best,
DG

In Florida we have two seasons, Hot and 3 days of winter so buying late in the season is not an issue. To me, when testing riding the r1250 engine it felt more akin to my 05 r1200rt engine. Just seemed to sound ‘right’. The late model 2018 r1200 engine seemed to make a lot more noises and not in a good way.

I do like bmw bags and trunk and not a fan of the metal boxes one uses on a GS, GSA way too tall for me 5’9”. Standard GS could work. If I got a basic r1250 say then that could work though then one has to add bags and a trunk, for me at least, then I am near to what an RT would be scan the full fairing.

The Nav VI does seems nice, slight change I will order one at 20% off today even if I just end up keeping my 05 r1200rt.
I do feel that 1250 engine with shiftcam is sweet, just a question of spending the money for that extra refinement/power.

I find it hard to discern what the benefits will be of the new ESA compared to my old 2005 ASA. Nor do I know how many iterations they did of the ESA between 05 in 2019. It would seem the new Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) would make a big difference is how smooth the ride is on roads compared to my old 05 ESA since my is not Dynamic in nature.

As the the person posted, some bells and Whistles on the 2018/2019 do not mean that much, at least to me. I can live with putting a key in a bike to turn it on and going without hill start assist. Might not even use the Gear Shift Assist Pro feature as many on the site love it once they get used to it so it seems.

Would figure traction control and leaning abs would be of benefit safety wise. Or maybe that is called Dynamic Brake Control (DBC).

Don’t know, maybe other then dynamic ESA and DBC will plus the new 1250 engine, there is not really a reason to spend so much money to upgrade.

Check out an R1250RS. If I was retiring today and looking to downsize but not give up the power that's the one I'd buy.

Difference between the R1200RT and the R1250RT? A few horsepower and a bit more torque, other than that they are the same as long as you are comparing similar optioned bikes. I don't believe there is anthing on the 1250 that doesn't come on the 1200 other than the largers engine and cams set up.

Which one should you buy? Only you can decide, but I have a 2018 RT and I looked over the 1250 but I certainly wouldn't trade my '18 for one, not anytime soon.

The 2018 is going to be leaps and bounds ahead technology wise over your 2005 (I went from a 2005 RT to a 2016 - which is the same technologically as the 2018).

At this point the 2018 is the last year of the 1200 wethead engine with all of the lessons learned during its production run.

The 2019 is the first year of production for the Shiftcam. The only pro I can see for going with this is that its the latest and greatest and has a bit more power.

If it were me, I'd save the money and go with the 2018 since the only difference between the two bikes is the engine.

IME the RT is sportier, GS is more comfortable on my knees. If a Goldwing is in your picture, it's 200+ lb heavier than an RT, so the 50 lb between the RT and the GS wouldn't seem like much of an issue. My GSA is my "everything" bike (I only have one bike). It takes me to the grocery store and across the continent. Always on pavement.

I'm at the point where tech for tech's sake doesn't thrill me. Functional tech (ABS, leaning traction control) are great but if I'm riding within my limits I'll never know they're there. On-the-fly suspension adjustments and throttle modes were fun to play with but after I'd fiddled with them a while I set them back to normal (suspension) and road (throttle) and leave them alone. Shift assist and hill hold - I have them but don't use them, I get more satisfaction from doing my own smooth shifting than letting the bike do it. I've been starting on hills without rolling backward since forever. Eight-way bluetooth connectivity is useless to me: when I'm riding I have no desire to talk on my phone or turn on my Bluetooth lightbulbs at home or distract myself with music (I'm easily distracted these days). The TFT on the new GS is cool and does some really neat things, but navigation by TFT is, IMO, inferior to using the Nav VI. Also, for some inexplicable reason, BMW has not enabled any kind of KPH display on the TFT on the R1250 GSA, which is a pain when I'm riding in Canada - something I've done every year since shortly before I retired.

Is there a particular rush to buy a new (or new-to-you) bike so late in the season? I just got a new GSA to replace my old one and I'm glad I did, but I doubt I'll get 1500 miles on it before I put it to sleep for the winter. I'm re-farkling it so it will be ready to go when I resume riding in March.

You might find an F750 or F850 is fine for around town, or to be trailered to interesting places. Or a Tiger 800, or a KTM 790, or even a G310 ...
Curious, if all pavement riding, why the GSA and not GS. I switched from a 1200GS to a 1200RT and will probably go back to a GS. Knees and hips hurt on extended rides. I raised the handlebars, lowered the pegs, raised the seat. Short rides are fine but more than an hour I start to feel pain.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1ih00 vs 1250

I owned a 1200gs and now I own a 1250gs. For me it was worth it (with the following condition). The 1250 engine is more responsive across the power band, and it is more enjoyable to ride. However, here is the condition. I would wait for someone, who has bought a new 1250gs to sell it. Many people who buy new bikes decide after a year or so, they no longer want to ride. You should start seeing some used 1250s posted on Craigslist or online Cycle Trader, or even at the dealership with low miles. Being patient and waiting for a like new used 1250 will save you thousands and you will still have part of the warranty. I am looking at a used 1250gs on cycle trader right now (not to buy for myself) that the owner is asking $17,500 for. Just a thought.

another one

I just found another one with 530 miles out of Freemont, CA on Cycle Trader. The owner is asking $15,500.

Curious, if all pavement riding, why the GSA and not GS. ...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Range. Been to Alaska twice, also NW Canada and the Trans-Lab have sections where the next gas stations are 200 miles or more away. I'd rather carry extra gas in the tank than a Rotopax or the like.

Still, I never pass an open gas station but more than once I've found the only one for miles has gone out of business, so I just ride to the next one instead of freaking out.

Back